This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Bandersnatch, a Black Mirror special exclusive to Netflix, has recently premiered a new way to experience streamable content. In this episode, viewers are given control as they are periodically able to select one of two choices for the main character. Similar to the choose-your-own-adventure novel that the episode is inspired by, each choice has the potential to either lead to alternate series of events or send you back in time to an earlier choice in the episode, forcing you to try again. 

Netflix developed a new software, Branch Manager, to allow Black Mirror writer and producer Charlie Brooker to create this film with multiple storyline diversions put into the hands of the viewers. To participate in this interactive content, you must have a “smart” phone or TV. The first time I tried to watch Bandersnatch, I was only able to view a trailer for the episode because the TV I was watching Netflix on was apparently incapable of supporting the format. The actual interaction is very simple. All you have to do is use the left and right arrows on your remote (or tap on your phone screen) to select one of two options when a prompt appears. When you reach one of the endings, you are still given the option to return to a previous point in the storyline to explore the other possible courses of action. 

In addition to giving viewers an element of influence over their individualized experience, Bandersnatch breaks the fourth wall more than once. The best example is at one point in the episode where viewers are able to select a message to send to the main character, who has begun to question if someone is controlling him. The entire episode is very ~meta~ because the main character reflects the challenges faced by the author of a choose-your-own-adventure novel, as well as those faced by Brooker himself in creating this film. I don’t want to give away any spoilers, but if you like psychologically complex entertainment, Bandersnatch has layers for days.

Charlie Brooker has said in interviews that Bandersnatch took over a year to write, film, and produce. However, because Netflix developed their proprietary Branch Manager software simultaneously, hopefully we will not have to wait long for more interactive episodes or movies to be released for streaming. While Black Mirror originally aired on British television, Netflix purchased the series in 2015 and has continued to produce new episodes. Netflix has consistently introduced new original series over the past few years, so it would only be natural for one of their next projects to involve more interactivity. 

Maybe we will see this technology in special episodes of our favorite Netflix original series, following the Bandersnatch model. I am hoping, however, that Netflix will dedicate a mini-series to exploring the potential of interactivity. Imagine having the ability to make decisions that change the storyline of the episode you are watching AND the ones that follow. If you are interested in reading more about the process of creating interactive content, click here for Wired’s in-depth look into Bandersnatch.

Emily is a Junior at Susquehanna University where she has a double major in International Studies and Publishing & Editing. She is from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Spring 2019 is Emily's 5th semester as a member of Susquehanna University's Her Campus chapter. She currently serves as Event Coordinator, having previously held the titles of President and Senior Editor.