A Backstreet Boys Concert Changed my Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Last Monday, I went to see the greatest band of all time, The Backstreet Boys, in concert at Hershey Stadium. It’s amazing to think that they’ve been friends/brothers/in a band for 26 years, and they’re not planning on stopping any time soon. The vibe of the whole concert was focused on each Backstreet Boy thanking the fans that have been with them through it all, and also getting really excited that there are now 2nd and 3rd generations of BSB fans alive and going to their concerts.

I started listening to the Backstreet Boys in high school when my Latin teacher used “I Want it That Way” to help us learn noun endings. It changed my life, and I am not ashamed to admit that the second time she played the music video I cried because it was so great. Ever since then I’ve wanted to see them in concert, and since they had a Las Vegas residency, I figured I would have to save up my money and pray that they wouldn’t end their residency before I could go to see them.

When I heard that they were coming to Hershey, literally an hour from my house, I planned for months to go see them. I couldn’t find anyone to go with me, and when I showed up on August 18th, the show got postponed before they got through their second song. I was quite literally heartbroken, and I cried in my car for half an hour before I could get myself to drive away. When they rescheduled the concert for September 16th, I decided immediately that I would have to go, and it was the best decision of my life.

There’s something about watching people who thoroughly enjoy what they’re doing for a living that really resonated with me. I’ve never been passionate about anything enough to want to do it for 26 years, but these boys (I guess they’re men now) are so fully committed and excited about performing and making music. It’s really inspiring!

Even though my seat was way too close to the back, I can very vehemently say that I had the best night of my life. I got a different perspective on life, so I know that I shouldn’t settle right into a job after college if I’m not going to enjoy it. The aftermath of the concert was that I got five hours of sleep before Tuesday, but it was incredibly worth it, and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. If anyone reading this has a favorite band or musician that you don’t think you’ll ever be able to see, or something that’s a really big deal to you that you’re not sure you can make happen, I urge you to try. You never know what can happen and how great the outcome could be if you do.

Senior Publishing and Editing and Philosophy double major.