stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

There is this stigma out there that gets to me sometimes. The idea that asking for help is a sign of weakness. As if waving it off will magically make all your problems disappear

Then, how do we grow as individuals if we never seek aid?

Perhaps it is your inner pride speaking, or it could be that some of us never really needed to ask. But there is always the scenario where you never had the place to ask for help. It happens, but I want to remind you that there is always someone out there that will be able to help you. You are not alone. In a world with billions of people, you are not alone. There are times when it might feel like you have no one to turn to, but there is always at least two people cheering you on. One of them includes you.

We often forget how important our own opinions of ourselves are in shaping who we become. It is okay to give yourself a break – a moment to let go of our internal criticisms. It is okay to admit that we need help and that we cannot do something by ourselves. This could be an assignment that you are struggling with or the (physical and/or emotional) fatigue that you have been facing internally.

It is amazing when a person can overcome their obstacles and pave way for a brighter future because they worked through the struggles on their own. And that is possible for some situations. However, there are times when you need someone’s advice to give you that push. There are times when you need someone’s actual help to get you somewhere.

Coming from high school, there have been times when my friends have told me that they needed to go to office hours to ask for help. And there were times when I sought out for a friend to look over what I wrote before I considered submitting an assignment. It can be tough to transition from the high school environment to the rigorous college culture. The expectations are higher, and this might lead to stress. Yet, it is not something you have to deal with on your own.

Look for the people you can trust and start from there. I find it easier to start with people who you know are willing to help because it helps you start trusting that people are there to help you. This could be friends or family. It is nice to talk to them because they are usually a good source of guidance, especially when you do not know what to do. And from my experiences, a lot of them will understand how it feels, which can be a huge relief!

I know that people usually feel ashamed because they think they can handle it, but we are all human. We have our limits, but if we can look over this pride, we can learn to live with our struggles. Then, with the help of the people around us, we can eventually overcome the problems that have been on our minds. I know you can do this!

Jena Lui

Susqu '23

To go on an adventure means to set off into a new environment and to take it all in, keeping what is important to you.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University