This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Surprise! The second part of my Agriculture ABCs is here before the week is up. For Part 1 of A – M, see last week’s article.

N is for Nutrients

Nutrients are important for plants, animals and YOU! All of these things need special nutrients to survive. Plants get theirs from the ground, animals from plants and we get them from plants and animals.

O is for Orchards

Orchards are large groves of trees that produce some kind of fruit. The most common types are apple and orange orchards, but you can also have peach and plum orchards as well.

P is for Pigs

Pigs are an important agricultural product. Many of us love to eat pork and they’re cute too!

Q is for Questions

All throughout school and life we are taught that when we don’t know something, we should ask. The same applies to agriculture. If there is an aspect of agriculture that you are unfamiliar with or curious about, just ask someone who knows. Make sure you find a responsible source to get the correct information.

R is for Rabbits

For some people, rabbits are just cute fluffy pets and are not really associated with agriculture. But there are people who use rabbits as a source of income in addition to the enjoyment they get. Rabbits can also be used for meat, believe it or not!

S is for Seeds

Seeds are extremely important for agriculture since all of the plants farmers grow start as seeds. Wheat, corn, and soybeans, some of the most popular crops grown, all have to be planted from seed across vast fields.

T is for Tractors

Tractors are a very well-known aspect of agriculture. When people think of farms, they often think of tractors. These wonderful machines help farmers tremendously and allow them to do more work much more efficiently than in the past.

U is for Underground

Underground is a word that may not make sense when thinking about agriculture, but it is actually very fitting. Many crops are grown in soil and while we focus heavily on the above-ground part of the crop, it is important to think about plant and soil health underground to ensure proper growth.

V is for Vanilla

Vanilla is a crop not grown in the United States, but still a crop. Because vanilla is so popular for flavoring many foods, it is a crop that needs to be produced in large quantities. That makes it an agricultural product.

W is for Wheat

This crop has made an entire region of the United States famous for growing it. The Breadbasket states are some of the highest producers of wheat and this product is essential for many cooking needs.

X is for Xylem

If you ask the average person what xylem is, they probably don’t know. But that’s what I’m making this list for! The xylem is the system of tubes in a plant that transports water and minerals so that the plant can grow. A very important thing for agriculture.

Y is for Yams

Yams, more commonly known as sweet potatoes, are an orange potato that many people enjoy on Thanksgiving. Personally, I think the best way to have sweet potatoes is candied, but they are good baked, fried or as chips.

Z is for Zoos

Petting zoos are a great way for people to learn about animals involved in agriculture. Often zoos will have a small area with commonly known farm animals and are a great source of information about how these animals live and are cared for.

Just a college student, with a passion for agriculture dreaming of making a difference.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University