9 Fun Ways to Spend the Week Before Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Looking for fun and spooky activities to try before Halloween is over? We’ve got nine ways to embrace this autumnal holiday.

1. Pick up some Halloween-themed string lights.

These could be anything from pumpkins, to leaves, to ghosts. Lights like these make a perfect edition for any dorm room.

2. Try the Pumpkin Frappe drink at Starbucks.

Everyone talks about the PSL, pumpkin spice latte, but the pumpkin frappe is an underrated and delicious creation. The cool cinnamon flavor mixes nicely with the whipped cream, almost like a pumpkin milkshake.

3. Rewatch the original Scooby Doo episodes.

No doubt about it, the 1969 cartoon is the best version of this classic series. The corny jokes make for a great laugh! Plus it gives off nostalgic autumn vibes.

4. Collect leaves to press into books.

With our beautiful campus, it’s not difficult to find those perfect aesthetic orange, red, and yellow leaves. When you find one that’s strong and sturdy, they are ideal for pressing into favorite books and journals. Try not to use crunchy leaves or else they’ll break apart!

5. Read a spooky story.

There are hundreds of scary short stories and fun Halloween mysteries out there. Some of my personal favorites are The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Cask of Amontillado, The Call of Cthulhu and Murder on the Orient Express. Fans of eerie old tales will enjoy Sleepy Hollow and Jekyll and Hyde, while mystery lovers will enjoy Agatha Christie’s books such as Orient Express. These classic books are quick reads that even a college student can fit into their schedule.

6. Hide under blankets with a hot chocolate drink.

A perfect autumnal pairing includes cozy blankets and a special treat. Hot chocolate drinks can include whipped cream with mocha sauce, cinnamon, or sprinkles. There are tons of fun ways to enjoy this delicious drink!

7. Try a new tea flavor.

If you’re not a fan of hot chocolate, or if you want a more medicinal drink, tea does the trick! Adding cinnamon to your tea gives it a warm and soothing flavor perfect for sweater weather.

8. Google cute pet Halloween costumes.

This one is self-explanatory. Even if you don’t have a pet to dress up in a Halloween costume this year, the pictures are too cute not to look at! Maybe you have a friend who needs a costume for their dog or cat too and that gives you an excuse to buy one.

9. Make a Halloween music playlist.

Whether you like classic Halloween jams or new pop songs, there are scary playlists for everyone on Spotify. There are unique songs that you can make into separate playlists based on your prefered tastes. For examples, there are playlists already prebuilt, like the one with Halloween theme songs for spooky shows, such as “Halloween Classics and Oldies: A Monster Mash.”

I'm part time yoga teacher and a full time reader. I never miss an opportunity to listen to audiobooks on a car ride, or to read ebooks during breaks in my classes. I'm a senior at Susquehanna University where my major is creative writing with a minor in women and gender studies.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University