katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

5 Ways You Can Save Money On Clothes For The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Hey guys! Hope everyone is enjoying the cold weather. With Christmas around the corner, it’s time to start getting gifts for your family and friends. When it comes to gifts, the best ones are clothes because who doesn’t love free clothes? If you’re like me then you forgot to shop on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but I’m here to give you 5 ways to save money on clothes for the holidays. 

1.   Thrift Stores

If you’re really struggling with money or know someone who enjoys vintage clothes then going to the thrift store is your best option. I’m a big fan of vintage clothes and when I have a small amount of money I just go to thrift stores. The thrift store offers a wide range of clothing to choose from and you can pretty much buy 5 whole outfits while barely going over $30. My best purchase from a thrift store was during the summer when I went to Community Aid and found a pair of Doc Martens for only $30! They were good condition and with little to no damage so I bought them and gave them to my sister for her birthday. I pretty much saved $118 since Doc Martens usually go for $148 or more depending on which one you get, but that it was my best purchase from a thrift store so far.  

2.   Swap clothes with your friends

You ever had that moment where a friend compliments you on your new shirt then says “I wish had that shirt!” Instead of buying new clothes you could swap with your friends because maybe you have something they like or they have something that you like. It’ll save you some money and helps with having something new to add to your wardrobe so it’s a win-win for everyone.

3.  Use cashback/discount apps

I’ve started using Ebates and RetailMeNot this past summer and it has helped me find deals at my favorite clothing stores. If you don’t know what cashback is, it’s when you get paid back a certain amount for your purchase. So while using both apps I’m able to find deals that the store doesn’t promote while getting some cash while making purchases, it’s the gift that keeps on giving.

4.  Look for Student Discounts

For once it actually pays off to be a college student (besides preparing you for a job). If there’s was only one thing I would like for you guys to really get from this article, it’s to look for student discounts whether on the clothing brand’s site or at their store. Some places vary with their discounts but it always helps, stores like Banana Republic and ASOS offer a 10% discount if you just use your student email or show you’re student ID. It may not seem like much, but you’ll thank yourself later once you realize once you’re done shopping you still have some money left to get food.

5. Avoid the “Buy 2 get 1 free”

Some stores will advertise the “Buy 2 get 1 free” or “Buy 2 get both on sale” during the holidays. It may look like a great deal but unless you actually need two or you know your family/friends have the same taste in something, I would save avoid this. While it does look like a nice deal, it just a fun way stores get you to buy more than what you actually need. I usually avoid these by having a list prepared a week in advance then break it down to what I actually need to buy and from there I go buy it online or at the store.

Those were 5 ways you could save money on clothes for the holidays. I really hope you guys enjoyed this article since it’s my first time ever writing one and found the tips I’ve listed useful for when you start buying clothes during the holidays. Enjoy the rest of your day and Happy Holidays!

Joseph Morante Finance major I enjoy reading and creating so why not share it with everyone.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University