This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Whether you are a senior in high school or a senior in college you’ve probably heard of (and worried about) gaining the “freshman 15”. Being someone who has always been on the heavier side, I dreaded going to college and thinking about gaining weight. After my first semester of college I had a doctor’s appointment and I was terrified to step on the scale, however, I LOST weight. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I am going to share with you my tips for avoiding the freshman 15. 

DROP THE SODA 

Drinking soda isn’t good for weight loss regardless if you’re in college or not. While in college most of the dining halls only offer bottled water, milk, or a fountain drink. I see too often people getting soda with every meal. By just skipping out on the soda you could decrease bloating and not risk gaining weight. If you weren’t a soda drinker before college and you start, you’ll be in for a sad surprise.  

WATCH YOUR SIDES 

In most dining areas, you get the choice to choose your own sides. I know not everyone loves vegetables or fruit, but being conscious of your sides is half the effort. Skip out on the fries and fried products. Greasy foods are not ideal for weight management. Try a banana, applesauce, or some corn. Rice could even be a better alternative to some french fries.  

SKIP THE DESSERT 

If you go into the dining hall often, you may be tempted to grab one of every dessert. If you do this often, try getting only one dessert a week if possible. If you’re too tempted to even do that, try eating more at the food court as opposed to the all-you-can-eat buffet. Usually at a food court they won’t have the option to include a dessert with your meal, so you’re less likely to buy one separately.  

PORTION CONTROLL 

Wherever you eat, this is the most important thing to remember. Before going to college or if you’re already in college, review your food pyramid and how much of each food group you should be eating. If you’re eating a balanced diet you shouldn’t have to worry about your weight.  

STOP WORRYING 

In life, you gain and lose weight all the time. You already have a stressful college life, why add to it? You’re going to look gorgeous no matter your size. Just keep your eating habits from home and be conscious of your choices and you’ll be fine.  

SU' 20 • Vanderpump Rules Enthusiast • Dog Fanatic • I'm just a college girl with champagne taste on a beer budget.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.