This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Music is probably one of the most important things to me. I LOVE music. Unfortunately, so many songs I hear now, are insanely misogynistic. Sometimes you can just ignore the lyrics, but, honestly, that can just be annoying. If you’re as tired of it as I am, here are some “Girl Power” songs to listen to without the misogyny. 

1. The Boys, Nicki Minaj: Despite the title of this somewhat older song, I’d definitely categorize this as a “girl power” song. The song is an anthem to girls who have ever dealt with boys who think that they’re “players,” but actually just lack basic decency. 

2. Everybody’s Fool, Evanescence: Continuing, with older songs, Evanescence’s Everybody’s fool attacks societal standards for female beauty. The song follows a girl learning that working to fit societal beauty standards does not ultimately pay off. It’s a nice song to remind you that being yourself is worth it. 

3. Gingerbread Man, Melanie Martinez: This one may be slightly biased, since I absolutely love Melanie. Still, I think this song is an awesome girl power song. I mean the first line of the song is “I’m frosting, I don’t need a man to make my life sweet.” It doesn’t get more “girl power” than that. Plus, the song has a sound not heard very often in today’s music. 

4. Formation, Beyonce: While this song caused quite a stir at the Superbowl, this song is perfect for the current social climate of the United States. It’s empowering and encourages solidarity among women of color. 

5. No, Meghan Trainor: No is the type of “girl power” song I hadn’t heard before. The right of a woman to say “no” is one of the most empowering things she ever learns. So, while the song is catchy and fun, it also encourages an important idea.

Hannah Antoine is a second year Neuroscience major, hair color enthusiast, and a proud introvert.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.