jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Reasons why Gloomy Weather is Better Than Nice Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Hot take, but gloomy weather is superior to nice weather. Now, when I say “gloomy,” I’m thinking of temperatures below 60 degrees, miserable cloudy skies, obnoxiously thick fog, chilly winds, and most importantly, rain. It might just be a passing early-October mood, but lately, I’ve been desperately craving some nice, spooky weather. Here’s why gloomy weather is superior to nice weather in every way:

The Ambience

There are a lot of things about the general atmosphere of gloomy weather that make it superior to nice weather. First off, rainy weather almost always (ironically) brightens my day just a little bit. It smells so good, and it’s so pretty, and the sound is so calming. And a nice thick fog is like the cherry on top. Also, we can’t discuss gloomy weather ambience without considering the changing of the leaves during the fall. There’s truly nothing more aesthetically pleasing than a quiet, still, gloomy morning accentuated by the reds, yellows, and oranges of fall.

The Fashion

Are you tired of being forced to be practically naked to be even remotely comfortable outside? I know I have been for probably about a month already. People who like to wear summer fashions are so valid, but the hot weather has long outstayed its welcome. It’s time for cute, cozy sweaters and scarves, cool jackets, long-sleeved t-shirts, and dark colors. Gloomy fall weather represents a sweet spot where it’s not too hot, but not too cold, so you can wear your favorite sweater without covering it up with an ugly, stuffy coat. 

The Beverages

What I’m about to write pains me, but it must be said: hot coffee is superior to iced coffee. Iced coffee might be a delicious drink of the gods, but there’s nothing better than wrapping your cold hands around a hot cup of coffee and feeling your whole body warm up on that first sip. This rule goes for tea as well, which is another delicious staple of gloomy weather. These two delicious hot beverages simply do not slap as hard in nice weather as they do in gloomy weather, which is my third reason why gloomy weather is superior.

Maybe it doesn’t feel like it with all of the 80-degree weather we’ve had this past week, but gloomy weather is on its way. Happy fall!

I'm a sophomore Publishing & Editing and Graphic Design double major as well as an editor at and the treasurer of Her Campus Susquehanna. I love to draw, read, and play video games in my free time.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University