This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I think it’s safe to assume that every person reading this has seen at least one movie. If you haven’t, though, then this is the perfect article for you. I have a firm belief that there are a few movies that everyone needs to see in their lifetime. More specifically, I believe that there are a few movies that you must see in order to be considered a Millennial or part of Gen Z. My reasons are that these movies are top-tier in terms of humor, meme-ability, and production value.

Shrek

The first Shrek movie is a masterpiece. It takes the idea of a formulaic love story and turns it on its head. Even better, there is a musical based on the first movie on Netflix. I’m not including all of the Shrek movies because Dreamworks fell into the trap they were originally making fun of once they started Shrek 3 and 4, but the first and second movies are beautiful. They are also chock full of iconic songs, like “All Star,” “I’m a Believer,” and “Hallelujah”.

The Bee Movie

I know, this is an old meme. However, I rewatched The Bee Movie recently, and I have to say, it’s actually really good. The humor is sarcastic, the idea is topical and unusual, and it honestly sends a message about the environment that I don’t think people give enough credit. It’s available on Netflix, but you could also look up one of those “The Bee Movie but ____ happens every time the word ‘bee’ is said” on YouTube and enjoy it that way.

Scooby-Doo: The Movie

I am including the second one in that title, because both of these movies are iconically hilarious and just overall really great movies. Scooby-Doo was present in the past 3 generations’ childhoods/young adulthoods, and I believe that it’s important for everyone to experience their first attempt at pulling Scooby-Doo into the ‘real’ world. Nothing can top these movies, and it helps you relearn the characters and their lives with recognizable faces (like Sarah Michelle Gellar for instance). Unfortunately, these movies are no longer on Netflix, but I wouldn’t let that stop you. I’m almost positive that I’ve seen them hanging out in the $5 bins at Walmart.

Whether you’ve seen all of these movies before or have never heard of them, I greatly encourage everyone to watch all of these movies in order to truly get a feel for the Millennial and Gen Z generations and maybe start to understand our really strange, twisted humor.

Senior Publishing and Editing and Philosophy double major.