Why The “Me Too” Movement is So Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

This week with the fallout still happening from the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault scandal, a new movement was created on social media. This movement is called “Me Too.” On Sunday night, actress Alyssa Milano posted a tweet that encouraged many women to speak out about their sexual assault experiences by simply tweeting or posting the words, “Me Too.” This seemed to spark quite some buzz, as thousands of women and even MEN decided to share those words; the bravest of them even posting their stories.

Sexual harassment doesn’t just happen to celebrities or corporate office workers, it can happen to anyone. Sexual harassment can happen to teenagers, the elderly, male, female, anyone from any demographic. Just looking at some of the posts proves just how massive this issue is today, which was exactly the point of the movement. I am sure many that were aware of the movement and saw posts were shocked to see just how many people had been affected.

The thing with any sort of unwanted harassment is that it takes you by surprise. You are left wondering what the next steps to take are, especially when it’s someone you know. This is why many of the people joining this movement are only just speaking out now. It is hard to speak on sexual harassment, but knowing you have the backs of thousands of people behind you, it makes it a little easier to discuss. With this many people coming out to show just how common sexual harassment is today, you have to wonder when actions will finally be taken to eliminate it. How much longer are people going to think this behavior is acceptable? By recognizing the issue at hand thanks to the “Me Too” movement, victims everywhere can hope that actions will be taken to completely eliminate sexual harassment of any kind. Until then though, it is nice to know that many aren’t alone in this problem and sharing their stories can help not just them, but others like them, facing this issue every day.