stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 5 Tips for Staying Healthy This Cold Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

So we’re now in the second month of school and if you haven’t caught the famous cold sweeping campus, I envy you tremendously right now. I’ve been sniffling and sneezing since the second week of school. However, I compiled the top 5 tips that I’ve found are critical to either avoiding a cold altogether or if you’ve unfortunately caught it, putting a stop to it immediately.

1. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate

We’re all well aware that we should be drinking water all day everyday but this is especially true when trying to prevent or get rid of a cold. Drinking water, or liquids in general, will thin out congestion and keep your throat clear.

2.) Lots of Zzzz

Sleep is absolutely critical for preventing or stopping a cold. Its recommended that the college student should be getting at least 7 hours of sleep. However, this is the real world and we’re lucky enough to get a solid 4 most nights. If you feel a cold coming on, its best to give yourself a night in and get some shut eye.

3.) Exercise

The last thing you want to do when you feel a cold coming on (or just in general) is exercise, but it has a tremendous impact on your overall health. Exercising daily helps to jumpstart the immune system, therefore preventing any colds, flus, or viruses that can come your way. Of course it comes with the added benefit of toning up for a spring break bikini bod!

4.) Eat Immunity Boosting Foods

We’ve all been there; we get to the dining hall, telling ourselves we’re going to have a salad and suddenly we find ourselves sitting down with greasy pizza or chicken nuggets and a mound of fries. These greasy, fast foods are just speeding up the time as to when your body will catch a virus. As to what foods are most beneficial to fighting a cold, Lauren Conrad has a post on her website listing the top 10 superfoods

5.) Take Time for Yourself

It’s extremely rare in college that you find yourself having time by yourself. With piling schoolwork, social obligations, clubs, etc., you barely have a moment to think. It’s so important to make time for yourself to do something that you love. Whether that’s going for a run, reading your favorite book, or putting your headphones in and just sitting around. Not having time to yourself can lead to huge amounts of stress which makes your body more prone to viruses.