burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Top 10 Fashion Essentials You Need This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

I often find myself buying all these clothes that I really only wear once before donating or trying to sell them on dDepop. I look at my full closet but it always seems like I have nothing to wear. If you’re like me, you need to find closet staples, that still allow you to keep up with the latest trends. Here are some timeless pieces for the fall for when you feel like you have nothing to wear– that you can find at any price point. 

Young woman looking at different racks of clothes at a store.
Photo by StockSnap from Pixabay

1. Oversized black jacket​

This can be a leather or vegan leather blazer, a black denim jacket or a biker jacket. It is a staple for every season, but would especially look great over a slip dress or some jeans during the cool days this fall. These jackets will give you that off-duty model look. ($) ($$) ($$$

2. White button-down shirt

This has been a classic piece ever since Jennifer Grey’s timeless outfit in Dirty Dancing. Wear this tucked into denim jeans with dainty jewelry, or layer it under a pullover sweatshirt with a tennis skirt. It is classy and chic, and can easily make any outfit look clean. ($) ($$) ($$$

3. Baggy jeans

Skinny jeans are a thing of the past– it is time to move on. This season is throwing it back to the 90’s with wide-leg, full-length jeans. Invest in a good pair that you feel comfortable in and is flattering for your body. ($) ($$) ($$$

4. Wide-leg trouser pants

These pants are something you don’t think you need but will level up your entire wardrobe. You can wear these with a graphic tee and some white sneakers, or a cute blouse and some heels– there is no limit! Colors like cream, black or gray will be essential for every occasion. ($) ($$) ($$$

5. Chunky black sunglasses

Some plain, dark sunnies will heighten every outfit to the next level. Pairing this accessory with any style will not only make you look put together but will come in handy for those fall sunny days. Fashion icon Hailey Bieber does not leave the house without hers, and neither should you. ($) ($$) ($$$

6. Baguette shoulder bag

I need one of these in every color. This bag is convenient and a big trend for this fall. By sitting this accessory on your arm, over any top, you will look like you tried harder on your outfit than you really did. ($) ($$) ($$$

7. Knee-high boots

Pair these with a skirt and layer on the accessories. These boots are not only practical for the cool fall days but will pull your whole outfit together. ($) ($$) ($$$

8. Ribbed tops

This will be a staple in your wardrobe year-round. It will be what you grab when you have no idea what to wear. This basic is so easy to throw on with some dainty jewelry and any bottoms, and will never go out of style. ($) ($$) ($$$

9. Oversized Tees 

This basic can be found at any price point and will never go out of style. Find some neutral colors such as black, white or brown, and dress them up or down for any occasion. ($) ($$) ($$$

10. Zip-up Hoodie

Perfect for staying at home or going out to run some errands, zip-up hoodies will be essential in your wardrobe. Throw them over a tank top paired with oversized jeans and you will be comfortable and put together. ($) ($$) ($$$

Julia is is the College Fashionista Editorial Intern at Her Campus Media. On the few occasions she is not writing, you can find her buried in the latest issue of Vogue, binging "Sex and the City" for the hundredth time, or drinking too much coffee. As a senior at Suffolk University, she is currently studying abroad in London, England. Follow Julia on Instagram @jahaesy.