Top 10 Best Moments In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Throughout my time at Suffolk University, I have made so many incredible memories I’ll never forget. I’ll always be grateful for the opportunities I was able to have and thankful that many of them led me to lifelong friends. Now that I am finished with my undergraduate studies, I wanted to reflect on 10 of my most special moments and experiences (in no particular order!)  that have helped shape who I’ve become over these last four years. 

1. Joining the Journey Leadership Program (JLP) & Traveling to DisneyWorld for Leadership Winter Break (LWB) – January 2019

At Suffolk, the JLP is a 4-year leadership program that encourages students to get involved on campus and allows them to travel to new destinations to further strengthen their leadership skills. I was able to attend the LWB trip to Orlando, Florida where we got to visit DisneyWorld and learn about their leadership style within the different parks. We also traveled to Crystal River, Florida for two days where we learned the importance of empathy by diving with manatees. 

Photo of the castle during daytime with Christmas decorations
Photo by Craig Adderley from Pexels

This trip was truly one of the most incredible opportunities I had at Suffolk. I made unbreakable bonds with my fellow student leaders,  learned a great deal about leadership through Disney’s lessons, and was pushed far out of my comfort zone. If it weren’t for this trip I probably would’ve never swum with manatees in my life and it was truly one of the most eye-opening experiences I’ve ever had. 

2. Becoming a Trustee Ambassador (Campus Tour Guide)

To me, being a Trustee Ambassador was more than just a job. It was something I looked forward to every week. I loved being able to interact with prospective students and families and help answer any questions they had. I loved being able to show people why I love Suffolk so much. Most important of all, I found my absolute best friends through this job – people that changed my life for the better and will always be by my side. 

3. Being Fall Traditions Chair for Program Council (PC)

At Suffolk, Program Council is a programming board on campus that plans a wide variety of events for the student body. I’ve been a member of PC since the beginning of my Freshman year and I can’t thank this organization enough for everything it has done for me. Though I’ve loved being a member, a sub-chair, and VP, the Fall Traditions Chair position was where I learned the most about myself as a leader.

Two jack-o-lanterns
Beth Teutschmann
Planning our annual Halloween Bash taught me how to work with venues, entertainers, how to budget an event, and how to be adaptable when things go wrong. Most importantly, it taught me how to be confident in my leadership abilities. I’ll always be so proud of the Halloween Bash I put together and will take these skills with me on my next journey. 

4. Being a Campus Correspondent (CC) for Her Campus Suffolk 

Her Campus is an organization that will forever hold a special place in my heart. Before coming to college, I was afraid to let anyone read my writing, but for the last four years, HC has given me confidence and a platform to publish and share my work with others.

woman typing
Photo by Corinne Kutz on Unsplash

I’ve loved being a CC for the past 3 years and getting to work with an amazing group of writers year after year. It taught me real-life editing and team-managing skills that I know will help me in my future endeavors. I truly can’t believe this is my last article, thank you for everything Her Campus! 

5. Being an Orientation Leader (OL) for Summer 2019

Being an OL was something I always wanted to do during my time at Suffolk. I was too nervous to apply my first year and missed the application deadline my second year, so the third time was the charm when I finally had the confidence to apply my third year, and I’m so glad I did.

I got to work with new students and help them get acclimated to college life. I loved hearing their stories on why they chose Suffolk. I also got to live with my OL teammates for the summer, where I made some amazing new friendships and created some of my favorite college memories.

6. Traveling to Columbus Ohio for the National Association of Campus Activities (NACA) National Conference – February 2019

Another one of my best memories within Program Council was attending the NACA Nationals Conference in Columbus, Ohio. I had never been to Ohio, and Columbus (though so cold in February) was a cool new city to see!

Airplane
Anne Nygård
At NACA, I learned new leadership skills in my workshops, saw a lot of cool performers, and met so many interesting, fun vendors. It was also a blast traveling with two of my best friends and our awesome advisor (even if Maddie & I were way too loud on the plane ride there). 

7. Living In My First Ever Apartment 

Suffolk only guarantees two years of housing, so after my sophomore year I took a leap of faith and rented my first ever apartment in East Boston with two of my best friends and I’m so glad I did! I learned how to be independent, manage money, cook entirely for myself since I could no longer rely on the dining hall, and better time management since I was now factoring in time for the train every morning. I just resigned my lease on this same apartment for the third time (& shoutout Kayla for still living with me since the dorms) and I can’t wait to create even more memories here. 

8. The New York City Trip with Program Council

Every year, Program Council plans a day trip to NYC, and it was always something I looked forward to. I went both my sophomore and my junior year and had so much fun with my friends.

people crossing intersection new york city times square
Pexels / Vlad Alexandru Popa
I made sure to see different sights each time and take advantage of the short time I had in the city. Plus, it was only $10 and I don’t think they’ll ever be a time in my life where I’ll travel to NYC for that price again!

9. Fall Concerts – Post Malone & Tory Lanez

I was able to attend two of the bi-annual Fall concerts during my time at Suffolk and these were two of my absolute favorite nights. Sophomore year we had Post Malone, who is one of my favorite rappers ever, and seeing him for $10 was a dream come true! Senior year we had Tory Lanez and I really like his music as well, but seeing him live made me love him even more! 

10. Sports Parades

Though I am not a huge sports fan, I loved getting together with my friends and celebrating a victory with a parade. During my time at Suffolk, I was able to see two Patriots parades and one Red Sox parade and they were a blast! Plus, they go right through our campus, which I always thought was so cool! I don’t know another school that cancels classes for a sports parade!

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.