Tips for Avoiding the Stress of School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

School is back in session. The work is piling up, the tests are approaching, and everyone is doing all they can to keep up. With all of the stress it’s easy to see how students can loose it, but there are plenty of ways to keep yourself healthy and stress free this semester!

Make a Schedule

I know everyone has said this and it seems ineffective, but it is truly a huge help.  Go week-by-week writing down everything that needs to be done from schoolwork, to housework, to your job shifts. Once you see everything on paper it is less daunting and you don’t have to worry about forgetting anything. 

Throughout the week, cross off each task as you complete it. Physically crossing something out is a huge stress reliever, and it keeps all your work organized.

Make A Budget

Living on a student salary is tough, anyone can tell you that, but with a little organization it can be a lot easier. 

Figure out how much your weekly or monthly income is, how much you need to spend each month, and how much you would like to have for spending money, (make it reasonable).  Obviously events come up that you cant control, and some nights might get a little out of hand, but with a budget you know where you stand and how you can save better.

Exercise

Exercise may seem more like a stress in itself than a stress reliever, but once you get into it there is no better feeling then a good work out. Whether you hit the gym, walk, dance, kick-box, or do yoga, it all helps.

When you exercise your body releases endorphins, which helps fight pain and triggers a positive feeling throughout the body. 

Exercise is proven to treat stress, anxiety, and depression.

Take a Break

Once in a while you may need to pull that non-stop all-nighter, but try and do what you can to space out your homework time and avoid that. With papers or long assignments work on them throughout the week and know when it is time to take a break.

If you’re staring at your computer screen ready to scream, you know its time to stop. 

Walk away from it for a bit.  Go get something to eat, listen to music, take a walk, whatever it is that relaxes you, now is the time to do it. When you come back to your work you will feel refreshed and will be able work more efficiently.

Work in Groups

It is always a lot less stressful to know that someone else is dealing with the same issues as yourself.  Whether you can’t focus, can’t get started, or really just don’t understand the material you are studying, working with friends or in groups can help with all of that. In a group setting you have someone with you to answer your questions or to work through problems with. You also have a venting partner when you are totally over working on your assignment.   

Chelsea Graham Broadcast Journalism Major Campus Celebrity Reporter
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.