Time to Reflect: Wait, it’s Summer?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

There’s an interesting notion sitting in your bed as the academic year has concluded. You wonder, “are you sure there is nothing else I was supposed to pass in?, or maybe you sit surrounded by boxes and bags of everything you quickly threw together on your way out your dorm room door. It’s almost like a time warped parallel universe came and yanked the year from under your feet in the quick blink of an eye.  Just as quickly as you sat in your first semester classes sticky from the September 80 degree humidity, you trekked to class in piled feet of snow, and soon after quickly realized how close your final exams were actually approaching. “It’s been a crazy year” seems to be the snubbed Instagram caption during the first week of May, and you reflect on how much you’ve changed.

For me personally, there was a lot of evolving that was done, and that was by all means necessary. I transferred schools, dropped myself off in the middle of a major city, changed my major, and bid a high school boyfriend goodbye. All these drastic changes led to a bit of uncertainty, and although I was terrified to be starting what felt to be a new life (it was) on my own, I still participated in the celebratory singing of Swift’s infamous ‘We Are Never Getting Back Together’ and came to the harsh realization that finding a next suitor is not all the fun it’s choked up to be. Collegiette, there is more out there than waiting on a text that might not come. There is more than letting your own day be determined on the attention you receive. And believe me, there are better uses of your time than over analyzing texts sent by someone who probably spent less than 6 seconds on their response. As great as what you believe that new budding love might be, there comes a time during one of these college years where you just have to realize that focusing on yourself is so much more rewarding, because no, you cannot put winning over your long time crush on your resume. The girlfriends by your side throughout your love life that has yet to get off the ground running, however, will probably be in the Bridal Shop helping you choose a gown, and will still be your friend after seeing you become Bridezilla, or worse, a new mother. Don’t sacrifice time and attention with them because your hung up on the fact that some No-Name didn’t give you the time of day. You won’t remember what he looks like by August.

Although we tend to forget every now and were actually attending college to learn, there is no denying that classes are challenging. There is incredible resilience involved in maintaining grades, working a part time job (or two), actively seeking out an internship or plans for the summer, maintaining social relationships, going out when you there is a party or event you just refuse to miss, and simultaneously upholding your mental health. Let me be the first to tell you, it’s okay to not be okay. It’s okay to ask for help, and it’s okay to admit that you might not be yourself anymore, and maybe you the assistance you need is above the concept of ‘mind over matter.’ Anxiety, depression…they are all real, common things for millions of people worldwide. Accepting the fact that the life you are living, although you’re immensely blessed, is pretty darn challenging, and affecting your moods is not the end of the world. It’s opening a new door for happier days ahead.

Finally, even when looking back on the highs (as well as the lows…we’ve all had plenty of them, let’s admit it- I’d apologize to the random man I yelled at through my basic girl tears if I could) you deserve to the right to acknowledge how far you’ve come. You are not the same person from September. You’ve flourished and you’ve failed, but you’ve grown. You probably did something September-You didn’t think you could. You’ve made new friendships, gained new skills, maybe even acquired a new life mindset. There is no denying you’re a different person, and you should take the time to reflect on just how far you are a human being have come this academic year.

“It’s been a crazy year” they say. And it has. With the successes and the downfalls, we carry memories from this 2014-2015 year and spend a few minutes in gratitude of what it’s brought us. Maybe it hasn’t been the easiest year, but with the tough times comes a stronger individual. Maybe it’s been a catastrophic disaster, but with the disorganized comes a college student who is determined to get a better grapple on life next semester. Or maybe, just maybe, you can realize that the newfound strong individual that finished this year can take on any beautiful, messy, challenge that lies ahead. Because look how far you’ve come. You can say that now, because hey, it’s been a crazy year.

Journalism student in Boston / Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk. I'm into politics, pop music, and parks. I tweet about TV and lipstick. @nikkimfell