Style

The importance of sustainability within the fashion industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Sustainability is a term that has been popping up more and more frequently within the beauty and fashion industry.

Recently, more people have been trying to build a more sustainable closet, as well as a makeup collection.

But why? What’s so important about incorporating a more sustainable lifestyle?

Sustainable fashion, also known as ethical fashion, refers to the production of clothes, shoes and accessories in an environmentally and socio-economic sustainable manner.

Sustainable clothing brands tend to use more sustainable fabrics like wool, organic cotton, and linen that have less of a negative impact on the planet and have more eco-conscious business models to lessen their environmental footprint, such as using recyclable shipping material.

Fast fashion, however, is another issue at hand.

Fast fashion refers to cheap, trendy clothing produced at a high demand for consumerism and is a key reason for environmental and ethical issues.

With fast fashion, there have been numerous negative environmental impacts on the planet. To keep up with consumer demand, fast fashion production results in water pollution, land usage, textile waste and using toxic chemicals.

However, it’s not just the planet that suffers.

Fast fashion workers are often young and underage women who earn minimum wages, work long hours, are put in dangerous working conditions, forced to breathe in toxic substances.

Remember,sustainability is not just about helping the planet, but helping other’s lives.

Some great sustainable clothing suggestions to check out include Everlane, Summersalt, Patagonia, Reformation, and Levi’s. 

Also, several other stores, such as Madewell and Adidas, have recently announced that in the near future, their company will be implementing sustainably sourced materials by using recycled textile in their products.