Style

Testing your Dressing: How College Affected My Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Coming to college means being able to reinvent yourself. New people, new campus, which could mean a new wardrobe for some.

As long as it can fit inside your tiny wardrobe.

For me, that meant buying more clothes that could withstand the snow and less summer dresses. I am a California girl which means this new reinvention time also included learning what a real season would be and how to dress for it.

Update: the humidity gives you more than a highlighted glow, but fall really does make you dance in the leaves.

I am up for the challenge, but let’s just say I did not tackle hot rain like I thought I would.

My last year of high school was a time where I got a lot more comfortable with my body and was able to feel more confident about expressing my emotions with my clothes. I really got into thrifting and buying the funky jeans I never would have thought I would wear.

Coming to college kind of threw that mentality off.

I was not eating the food I was used to (at home I grew up extremely healthy and am still trying to figure out dorm food), I was not being as active as I used to or wanted to be, and also, I was (and still am) going through an extreme change. My mind, as well as my confidence in myself, was shaken.

The new environment I imagined I could thrive in, was making me unsure if I could even be myself in it. I did not wear what all the other girls in the elevators wore. Wearing my light grey corduroy pants with the weird saying baggy t-shirt I always wore back home made me feel utterly self conscious.

My confidence was being questioned and it felt regressive.

The way I could express myself without even trying was being taken from me, by me.

Now I know I am no fashionista, I am not claiming to own “the” college closet. I could not tell you the latest trends (only the ones in my head) but I do know that fashion is there for people to express themselves, to play dress up, to add a little flair in their personality.

To add a smile or bring comfort.

I did not want my simple expression to be questioned as much as it was. I wanted it to be a free flowing decision like it was at home. One that morphs with me as I evolve and change and become an even more stressed out college student!

Plus I was doing my own laundry, if I was going to dirty it up and wash it again later, I wanted it to be worth it.

I think that was one of the points of college though, and still is for me. That the confidence and assurance inside myself I grew in my small environment back home, needed to be tested. Although I do not love the process, in few words, one has to trust it.

Staying strong to myself is difficult, especially when it leads to wearing pumpkin socks with a rainbow striped shirt, but I have to do what makes me happy. In high school I tested my comfortability with my clothes and now I am able to find comfort knowing I am being me right down to my socks.

Harper Wayne

Suffolk '22

I am a Print Journalism major here at Suffolk University in Boston. I am originally from the beautiful state of California and my interests include writing, I have a blog called ithinkiknownothing.com, reading, and exploring around!
Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.