A Suffolk Success Story: Matthew Thompson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

From his phobia of American cheese to his creation of films, Matthew Thompson is a guy you definately want to get to know! You may recognize this campus celebrity from the short film he produced, “Toothbrush,” or  his involvement in the Boston Celtics ad campaign, “I Am A Celtic.”  Owner of the production company, GuyManly, and Suffolk alumni (class of 2008), Matthew Thompson, clearly has high aspirations to succeeed in a field he truely loves. From directing and writing short films, to producing music videos and web content shows, Matt has a life to admire.
            You may be wondering, did Matt always know film production was the career choice for him? After interviewing this highly motivated entrepreneur, I got the inside scoop. “I wasn’t always set out to run a production company,” stated Matt, “but after working for myself it would be hard to go back to working for anyone else!” Without a doubt, Matt’s incredible passion for movies drew him to the right path. Matt produced his very first video when he was only 14 for a class project…and never stopped.

Matt always knew that the city was the perfect place for him to attend college. When I asked him about why he chose Suffolk he responded, “I loved the city campus. I loved that it didn’t feel like a traditional ‘college’ with football teams and sororities. I didn’t want an extension of high school and I was ready for a new challenge. I wanted to become more independent, and I feel that Suffolk is a really great place for the entrepreneurial spirit. Everything is there, and if you’re willing to seek it out you can do a lot.”  
His freshman “Media Criticism” class at Suffolk inspired his involvement in film theory and production. He stated, “I wrote a term paper on the film Adaptation and how it was edited, and from this, realized how much I loved the craft of filmmaking.”
           Throughout his college career, Matt free-lanced as a production assistant. He described his internship position at Picture Park in Back Bay as, “A good way to see how a production company functions at a high level.”  Matt and his business partner, Oliver Hartman, each also have backgrounds in ad agencies, which, he admits, definitely helped their decision to form GuyManly.

[pagebreak]
Now let’s get more personal with Matt about his Suffolk experience, and his current endeavours:

Me: Best experience/memory you have of Suffolk?

Matt: Wow, this is a loaded question. I can give you quite a few. My favorite classes were, Art History with Professor Kramer, Media Criticism with Professor Caragee, Foreign Cinema with Professor Perry, and Photojournalism with Professor Martin. I lived at 150 Tremont, and it was always an adventure there. Working with WSUB and participating in their showcases was always a blast. I also remember a heavenly chicken salad sandwich at Donahue Cafe haha.

Me: Tell me a little bit about GuyManly and the future projects you have planned.

Matt: Our company is based on strength and clarity of vision. This is not only in the finished product, but throughout the entire creative/logistical process. Making movies is fun, it’s awesome. Even corporate videos are fun, you’re not at a desk everyday; it’s always different. Often, people create tension due to inability to be upfront about the process. Having a clear vision and clear working message with clients, crew, and actors is key.

This past year we did 2 short films. One is “Toothbrush,” which I wrote and directed. We also did the Boston Celtics ad campaign (“I Am A Celtic”)which will be airing soon. We also did a Hannaford broadcast spot, a few series for Digital Broadcast Group called Off-Beat Spaces, and “Small Business Stories,” and “Road Warriors,” which are web content shows, as well as a handful of music videos.

Recently, we did another music video for Alcoholic Faith Mission’s song “CindyCindy” off their new album, and two short films for a hotel in NYC, which, unfortunately I can’t name, because it’s not yet released.

We’re currently in production of a feature length documentary about the Nicaraguan Solidarity Movement, which took place in San Francisco in the 70’s/80’s. We were out in San Francisco filming interviews around Thanksgiving, and are heading back out there on February 10th. We’re also currently fundraising for a feature film, “If You Stay” which we hope to shoot in the summer.

There are some more music videos/film projects that are in development, but at various stages :)

Me:You are a driven guy with an exciting, busy life; fun facts please?

Matt: Ha! Fun facts, huh? Well I skateboard, so I like to go out and skate when work isn’t too busy, or when it’s really really busy and I need some time to clear my head. I do have a busy life, but it’s really fun so I never feel as though I’m “missing out” on things. I’m definitely where I’d like to be. I have a phobia for American cheese, not the taste, the texture. I think people go on Facebook too much. I really enjoy art history and the composition/thought process behind paintings. I try to listen more than I talk.

Not only is Matt Thompson an amazing producer/director/entrepreneur; he is also witty, extremely personable, and truly an inspiring Suffolk success story!  Be sure to check out Matt’s sensational, impressive short film productions and music videos on his website!

My name is Alexa Mellardo and I am currently a sophomore and Broadcast Journalism major at Suffolk University, located in the heart of one of the most charming cities in the world: Boston. A passionate journalist, I am fortunate to be doing what I love to do….writing! When I’m not composing articles for two awesome online publications (hercampus.com and also collegefashionista.com) and attending classes, I intern at a trendy magazine in the city. In between, I love to shop and spend time with my friends and my boyfriend. I have two addictions: shopping and cupcakes. In light of that, what better place to be than just blocks away from Newbury Street, Charles Street and Quincy Market? My quaint, vintage brownstone apartment in Beacon Hill is where my two best friends and I keep it strictly classy and fashionable. We turned our apartment into a comfy fashionable haven, and we enjoy relaxing and entertaining our friends. Living in such an awesome city provides a wealth of opportunity, fun, and culture to embrace. My dream is to one day be a respected, well-known broadcast journalist.
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.