Suffolk Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Going to college in Boston is just about every student’s dream. There are so many things to do on campus and out and about on the grand streets of Boston. During your college career there are a few must do activities in Boston. Here is a list of the top things you must do while attending Suffolk:

1. Attend the New England Aquarium’s free night for students in Boston: This is held in the fall and is a free chance for you to see the adorable animals and receive free goodies.

2. Temple Street Fair and Ramily Reunion: These two informational fairs show students all of the events/organizations on the Suffolk Campus. The Temple Street Fair is held outside in the fall, and Ramily Reunion is held in the spring, usually in 73 Tremont on the 9th floor. Getting involved is extremely important; it can open many doors for you in college, along with giving you more events to take part in.

3. Boston’s Night Out: This event is held over on Newbury Street. Grab some friends to go view all the amazing clothes, while getting some free goodies.

4. Watch a Meal N’ Reel: These are held in the Donahue Café by Program Council. Catch a movie and snacks once a month with your group of friends. These events give you a chance to see a movie you missed when it was in theaters, but has not yet been released on DVD.

5. Try every salad in Café 73: From the “Strawberry Fields” salad, to the “Santa Fe” salad, ou must try every one. Also make sure to try their press sandwiches.

6. Skip to drink: On that cold, snowy day, grab some friends to skip class and go drink at the Red Hat or The Hill Tavern.

7. Service Day: A simple way to give back, while surrounding yourself with fellow students.

8. Go to award ceremonies: There are many award ceremonies and when you attend these you can see how amazing our school is. These include the journey awards, SGA awards, Rammy awards and more.

9. Attend AWB or ASB: Go on an alternative winter or spring break. This is a way to meet more friends, help out a community in need, and see a country or state you have never been to before.

10. Sports: There are always cheap tickets sold at The Hub for Celtics, Bruins, and the Red Sox games. When living in a city that has such amazing teams, it is crucial to see them play in the TD Garden/Fenway at least once during your college career.

11. Cuisine: When in New England, clam chowder and lobster rolls are musts. Explore the city, and find your favorite spots for these delicious treats. Also spend an afternoon in Faneuil Hall taste testing everything, there are some great spots in there!

12. Attend a showcase/free comedy performance: Students are always putting on shows. Go support your fellow students and watch these great performances.

13. Afternoon ferry ride: Use those gorgeous first days of spring or last days of summer to go to the islands off of Boston, and spend a day at the beach.

14. House of Blues: Attend a concert and grab food before or after.

15. Have your parents come to visit: Have them take you to the Top of the Hub, on the duck boats, and on a trip along The Freedom Trail. These are some of the true Boston experiences you have to try before college is over. Plus, these activities are more expensive so it is nice to have them paid for by mom and dad!

These are just a few of the many opportunities available around you in Boston. Take advantage of everything that is in store for you here. Get involved, get an internship, have multiple jobs, and enjoy your few years of college. There are only four years, and they fly by, but they are some of the best years of your life. 

Ellie Hawkins is a graduate of Suffolk University. She received a BA with Magna Cum Laude honors in print journalism. Ellie is an alumni of Theta Phi Alpha-Gamma Lambda chapter. During her time at Suffolk she was involved with The Suffolk Journal and the Journey Program. Journey is a leadership program that focuses on four focal points: leadership training, involvement, career exploration and service. She volunteered at the Paulist Center Soup kitchen and is still doing so today. Ellie recently went to El Salvador, in January, to help with Habitat for Humanity through her schools Alternative Winter Break program. Ellie enjoys photography, skiing, golf, and watching movies in her free time. Ellie is fortunate enough to live in one of the best cities in the world: Boston. This city provides her with many opportunities from having a marketing internship at the Franklin Park Zoo to taking long walks on the Charles river and exploring the city. She also had the opportunity to study abroad in Madrid in the summer of 2013 at the other Suffolk University location. My dream job is to either travel while writing about the different experiences I have or have a job at Discovery Communications in the PR department.
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.