Snapchat Lens Feature Starts Costing You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Back in September, Snapchat introduced the new Lens feature. You know, those strange yet hilarious animations that the app adds to your and all your friends’ faces when you open your mouth or raise your eyebrows in selfie mode. Yes, I’m talking about the rainbow that comes flowing from your mouth and the hearts that pop out of your eyes. Snapchat calls these Lenses. At first, I thought they were strange and confusing, but then they grew on me. After all, it is funny and entertaining to watch yourself or your friends become a silly animation with special effects and sounds.

But then last week, Snapchat decided yet again to start charging you for a feature that was previously free. Now, in order to have the rainbow flowing from your mouth, you must pay 99 cents. The Lens Store houses 30 Lenses that are available for user purchase. Some of the Lenses are still free, but only a small selection. This is not the first time Snapchat has started charging its users. Replays used to be free but now you only get one per day unless you decide to pay more.

Snapchat users took their frustrations to Twitter and other social media. Some say it’s annoying that they charge for use of the Lens, because they gave it to us and now they’ve taken it away. Others say it’s smart on Snapchat’s behalf because of the overwhelming popularity of the Lenses that has taken off since they were introduced.

Personally, I don’t foresee myself putting any money into the Snapchat app ever. Not for Lenses, not for replays, and not for Snapcash (do people actually use this?). But if you are one of the people willing to purchase the Lenses, check out Snapchat Support on how to use and purchase Lenses here.