HCM book illustration?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM book illustration?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Set My Heart to Five – Book Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Set My Heart to Five by Simon Stephenson is a compelling, engaging and easy to read to novel set in 2054. Jared, the narrator, shows us what it is like to have an emotional awakening as he follows his dream in a futuristic world that isn’t too different from the one we are living in now. 

Oh, but did I mention that Jared isn’t quite like us? He is actually a robot, built to do the job of a dentist. A mundane job that humans no longer have as their focus is not on being either a doctor or a creative profession. As a bot, Jared often refers to himself as a toaster, as it is the founding piece of technology that made his existence possible. (Personally I find this quite funny and end up picturing my own  toaster with human limbs, even though Jared looks entirely human). Bots are built to have no emotions, but throughout this book we are transported into the mind of Jared, who, against all odds, has begun to develop emotions. 

Toast
Aakanksha Joshi / Spoon

At first, the language used is a bit off putting. Jared talks in statements of fact, short sentences, and uses abrupt phrases, such as “Ha!” and “I cannot!”. This feels a little awkward to read at first, but as the story progresses, as well as Jared’s emotions, it is so easy to be sucked into the captivating journey described. 

Jared’s dream of creating a film that shows humans that bots not only can have emotions, but that they can all live in harmony is a journey that we get to follow through all of it’s ups and down. As a film student, I have a deeper understanding of his character – wanting to create something that will impact the way certain people think, and that could potentially make our society a more accepting and peaceful place. 

One aspect of this book that constantly brought a smile to my face was the references to films that we know and love. One that sticks out to me the most is Blade Runner, a film that is truly iconic in my eyes, and one that I have studied in depth. These movies from the present are referred to as “old movies” which originally makes me think of film noir, but no! These are films that we and our parents grew up with. There is something really special about movies from a different time taking on a life of their own in Jared’s journey. Some of them even make me think of my own past as I remember the first time I saw them! According to Jared, the fact that I am saying this would make me “a nostalgic”! Ha!

Unsplash/ Peter Lewicki

This book is thought provoking, jam packed with emotion, and shows a society that is different from our own but not so different that it is hard to understand. I look forward to other books that may come in Simon Stephensons future, and I recommend Set My Heart to Five to everyone who is in search of an entertaining new book to read. 

Carina Fresa is a current Senior honors student at Suffolk University. Originally from Connecticut, she has truly found a home in Boston. She is the multi-media coordinator for Rampage Show Choir, as well as a participant in Her Campus and the Union of Designers, Operators and Technicians. Carina loves music, film, reading and writing. She also enjoys dedicating time to helping animals, and worked at her local cat shelter back in CT.