This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

On September 3rd, Selena Gomez launched her latest project, a makeup brand named Rare Beauty. Usually, when celebrities and influencers come out with a makeup line, people see it as a cash grab, so people were definitely skeptical of Selena’s new line. Although the public was unsure at first,  people fell in love with the message behind the company and its positive impact. Rare Beauty puts an emphasis on enhancing your natural beauty and the message of self-love. In an Interview magazine feature, Gomez spoke on the brand saying, “I wanted to start a conversation about how can you make yourself feel great. It’s not necessarily about needing these things to make yourself feel beautiful. People of my generation have all this pressure to look a certain way, and I wanted to make a line that took away a bit of that pressure. I use real people in the campaigns.” 

Selena Gomez via @rarebeauty on Instagram

The brand has gotten positive reviews across youtube review videos and Instagram. I got my hands on the Liquid Weightless Foundation, which has an impressive 48 shades, and so far I’m in love. If you are looking for a lightweight foundation this is a perfect option. All products are vegan and cruelty-free, and the packaging is designed to help if you struggle with arthritis, which Selena Gomez herself struggles with because of lupus. 1% of all sales will go to the Rare Impact Fund, which launched alongside the brand and aims to raise 100 million dollars over the next 10 years to help give people access to mental health services. 

Selenagomezselfie
Selena Gomez / Instagram

It’s really powerful that Selena Gomez is using her platform for good and that this brand means so much more than just some makeup products. There is a new wave coming into the billion-dollar industry, that of self-love, diversity, and ending the stigma around mental health. I don’t think a lot of people realize how makeup is extremely impactful and I really believe if  Rare Beauty keeps it up, it will have a positive impact on the industry.

freshman at Suffolk! Interested in music, fashion, and food