Say Bye to Dry: Tips and Tricks for Healthy Winter Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Plummeting temperatures and blustering winds can take a toll on your skin and may not leave you looking or feeling your best. Taking the extra time to pamper yourself beyond just moisturizing here and there can really pay off. Here are my tips for how to keep your skin fresh and glowing this winter:

Nourish from the inside. Combat a dull complexion by not only changing what you put on your body, but what you put in it.

Drink at least 8 glasses of water throughout the day.

Add Omega 3‘s to your diet. Foods like salmon, walnuts, and flax help to revitalize hair and skin.

Revise your routine. Your skin behaves differently in the colder months, and your product regimen should reflect that.

Avoid alcohol-based products, as well as other harsh irritants that can strip the skin of natural moisture. Instead, reach for cream-based cleansers and emollient facial lotions.

Use a hydrating mask once a week to give your face the extra care it needs.

Get some beauty rest. Treat damaged skin overnight to wake up looking healthy and hydrated.

Invest in a humidifer. Adding moisture to the air can not only help to kick a cough, but it can also soothe scaly skin.

Before bed, and preferably after exfoliating in the shower, slather coconut oil on all problem areas…or everywhere. Your body heat will melt the semi-solid oil naturally so it can soak into your skin. Put on long sleeves and pants that you don’t mind getting a little messy for extra absorption.

Switch up your sudsing. Showers are a time to refresh and relax, but they can take a toll on your body if you’re not careful.

Take warm showers, not hot. Although the cold weather may tempt you, scalding water instantly dries you out.

Try a milk bath. Adding this refrigerator staple to a warm tub can do wonders for parched skin by surrounding it with lactic acid, a natural exfoliant and hydrator.

Watch your mouth. Your everyday lip balm just doesn’t cut it sometimes. Try another approach to keeping your pucker quenched.

Don’t lick your lips. While some believe this can help combat chap, in reality, it just makes it worse! Kick the habit, ladies.

Before bed, rub a clean toothbrush in circular motion on lips to slough off the dry outer layer. Smear on a healthy dose of Vaseline® or Aquaphor® to ensure that your lips stay supple.

Happy Hydrating, Collegiettes!

[Photo Source]

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.