RuPaul’s Drag Race: Season 10, Episode 4 Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

After last week’s episode, we all knew the drama that would go down in the workroom after Yuhua’s elimination. The drama all began when Monique called out Mayhem after she threw her under the bus to justify her poor performance in the main challenge. After the two queens fought it out and said what they had to say, it’s clear that a new rivalry is starting, and I can’t wait to see what transpires between these two for the rest of the season!

Moving onto this week’s mini challenge in which the queens had to perfect the art of celebrity photo bombing, sadly there were no surprise celebrity guests, so the queens were photoshop-bombing themselves into celebrity pictures. Aquaria’s photo bomb with Kim Kardashian and Kanye West won, even though I think Monique grabbing Nick Jonas’ crotch while blatantly ignoring Kevin Jonas should’ve won.

Thankfully, this week the maxi challenge is “The Last Ball on Earth” in which the queens must create three unique looks: Alaskan Winter Realness, Miami Summer Realness and Martian Eleganza Extravaganza. The three looks are essentially a winter look, a summer look and the classic “future-of-drag” look that we see basically every season, but every season the queens always turn out iconic looks, both iconic in a good way and a bad way.

While all the queens are supposed to be working on their looks for the mainstage, the queens just can’t seem to leave Monet and her sponges alone, honestly we’re on episode four and they’re STILL bitter that Monet wasn’t eliminated, but Monet defended her look which is what everyone should do when people get bitter at you when you’re thriving. Putting all the sponge-discourse aside, Asia and Monet came together to help the queens who don’t know how to sew, giving us season 6 Bianca and Adore vibes, we love queens helping and supporting other queens!

Even though Monet and Asia were giving free sewing lessons, Aquaria decided to ignore those sewing lessons and played around with some classic arts and crafts techniques. While sewing is probably the better option, hot glue is always acceptable but not to Miz Cracker. When Cracker saw what Aquaria was doing for her look she bluntly pointed out that Aquaria is just gluing things to a bra and that’s your weekly Aquaria vs Cracker tea for this week!

Before the queens hit the mainstage, Ru came in to check up on the girls and see what outfits they’re presenting for the maxi challenge. Asia tells Ru all about her experience as a fashion designer outside of the show, which explains why she always bitterly brings up Monet’s ICONIC sponge look from the first episode. The Vixen explained to Ru that she has the same reputation as a “fire-starter” on the show as she does back in Chicago. Going back to “arts-and-crafts” queen, Aquaria, she tells Ru that she’s a “look queen” hinting at the fact that she doesn’t sew, which we aren’t surprised because back in her “Meet the Queens” interview, she matter-of-factly that she didn’t sew and that she didn’t need to sew, which could’ve been her joking but it seems like she was kind of serious after this episode.

After the queens show off their looks, it was time for the judge’s critiques. Monet got praise for her first look, but the judges felt her other two looks were “arts and craftsy”, which landed her in the bottom this week. Kameron Michaels got good critiques but was overshadowed by Aquaria who had the judge’s gagging over all her outfits this week. Asia also got a harsh critique this week but the queens all came out and said that she helped all the queens with sewing which left her little time to work on her own looks. If the queens didn’t rally together for Asia, she probably would’ve been in the bottom and thank God she wasn’t because she would’ve gone home way too soon. Miz Cracker got amazing critiques from the judges about her looks and the stories behind each look she presented. Dusty Ray Bottoms was the other queen who landed herself in the bottom simply because her looks just didn’t meet the standards for this week’s challenge.

It was a close call between Aquaria and Miz Cracker as to who would win this week’s maxi challenge, but after deliberating, Ru announced that Aquaria the winner of this week’s maxi challenge and declaring Miz Cracker safe.

Now that the good news is out of the way, this week’s lipsync between Monet and Dusty was a close call. Both queens took a comedic route to Nicki Minaj’s “Pound the Alarm” and while both queens were doing amazing, Dusty just couldn’t keep up with Monet. After Monet did her Mortal Combat “finish her” move, that was the end of Dusty’s career on drag race. Monet is declared safe and Dusty was the queen to sashay away, which benefits me because after Yuhua left I thought another one of my top three queens was gonna leave so I’m relieved to say the least. Tune in next week to see what looks and drama the queens bring to Rupaul’s Drag Race on Vh1!

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.