Relationship Blog: 10 Signs You’re With Mr. Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

By this point I’m sure we’ve all had our fair share of Mr. Wrongs, and we’ve hopefully learned from our misjudgments and poor decisions. However, there are several types of Mr. Wrong’s that maybe you haven’t met yet. Therefore, I present to you a cumulated list of girls’ Mr. Wrong warning signs that we should all be on the look out for:

1. Blurred lines: If you have yet to DTR (define the relationship), avoiding details about touchy situations makes everything more complicated. Being upfront and honest is the way to start a relationship.  Any guy who isn’t down to DTR after a number of casual conversations and dates could yield future miscommunication.

2. Wandering eye: You probably didn’t notice this right away, but now you will. If he’s not focusing on you, you shouldn’t waste your time on him. Laughing it off does not make you look cute and confident, it makes you look dumb and naïve.

3. Bashing the ex: Even if you think he’s bashing her to make you feel better, it’s actually a poor show of character. You’re probably not marrying the guy, so would you want him speaking about you the same way later down the road?

4. Competitive: When a guy is constantly trying to top your life that’s not cool. You want someone who makes you better and supports your new goals in life.

5. Jealousy: Nothing is more unattractive than a jealous and insecure guy. We want men. Of course, the rule of thumb “sharing is caring” doesn’t apply when in a relationship. However, they shouldn’t get their panties in a bunch when we are getting some attention from an outside source.

6. He lets you do the work: If you’re always the one making dinner or scheduling the dinner, then you should just end the dinners all together.

7. Avoids photos: This potentially means you could be a side girl, and there could be another one in the spotlight that he doesn’t care to share about. Trust me, it’s not because he doesn’t want his mom to know he was out drinking on a school night.8. He isn’t a gentleman: Did he shut off his phone at dinner? Make eye contact with you? Introduce you to people he sees? Or pay you compliments and make you feel good? Although chivalry may seem to be dead, these few golden rules should still be respected.

9. Lack of support from family & friends: I don’t believe you should choose your relationships based on your family and friends’ opinions. However, they do usually know what’s best for you. If they have strong reservations about him, it’s best to hear them out. Of course it’s easier said than done, but nothing is worse than an “I told you so” after the relationship crashes and burns.

10. Bad gut feeling: The most important warning sign of all is your gut. If you don’t have a good feeling about him after the first few dates or hangouts, it won’t get progressively better, it will just mean his flaws will grow on you.

Say goodbye to any guy with these warning signs. This is your time to be selfish. You have the rest of your life to be in a relationship, and holding onto someone just so you’re not alone is not fair for either party. Although a relationship is a two way street, it’s alright to find Mr. Wrong a few times—it’ll just make Mr. Right that much better.

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.