Rampage Show Choir: Stephanie Rubino

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Name: Stephanie Rubino

Major: Public Relations

Year: 2015

Hometown: Long Island NY

How long have you been a member of the Rampage Show Choir and how long has the group been around for?

The group was started in the fall of 2009; it had just a few members in it at the time. I auditioned for the group as a freshman my spring semester, so I have been a member for over a year or so.

Can you tell us a little about the group and what you do?

The group is part of the Performing Arts Office (PAO) on campus; we have about 20 members right now and together we perform at various places around campus and the city. We have about 6 new songs that we do a year, some with choreography and others just vocals. As the group gets older we are trying to build a repertoire of all of our songs to always have something different.

What is your favorite part about being in Rampage?

I have always loved to perform and was in a Show Choir/A cappella group in high school. If I had to compare it to something well known I would say it’s more like Glee, where we both sing and dance to music. I’ve always sung and danced so doing it together is something different that I enjoy. I was just recently elected Vice President of the group so I am very excited to help lead the group in a great direction. Picking out the music we perform is sometimes stressful, but having a great set with awesome choreography is one of the best parts. Because the group is still so young, watching it grow, make mistakes and triumphs have been so rewarding, we’re still learning.

What are some venues the group has performed at?

We have performed at the Omni Parker House doing some Christmas caroling and such. We also can be seen at many on campus events including The Unity Week Showcase, The Rammy Awards and PAO Semester Concerts. This May we will also be singing at the Bank of America Pavilion. This past semester the group has began to branch out; we are in the works to perform at charity events around the city as well as with other show choirs across the country.

What are some major accomplishments for Rampage?

I think our growth just in the last year or so is a major accomplishment. Our auditions are packed with people and the group has grown in numbers. Last spring we started having our very own show, which is something we now do annually. This year was our first year with a professional choreographer and he is

absolutely wonderful, he makes us look so good. The connections we have made are great as well; we are really getting our name out there throughout campus and with fellow show choirs.

What was your most embarrassing moment in rehearsals or during a performance?

Personally, at our show just last month I completely blanked on what choreography came next and I just stood there for a minute while everyone kept going it was so embarrassing. As a group last semester we made a costume choice to wear bandanas in a big dance number and all the bandanas were on the floor by halfway through, so no more bandanas.

How can people audition/ get involved with the group?

We hold auditions in the fall and the spring so there is a chance to audition twice a year. There are also leadership positions in the group as well so that is a great way to be involved.

Are you involved with any other groups on campus?

Yes, I am a Trustee Ambassador so I give campus tours every week. I am also part of Theta Phi Alpha Sorority on campus as well as being involved in the Suffolk University Theatre Department.

Do you hope to continue with performing arts after graduation?

Possibly! I love doing it so I would always keep it an option.

What are your long-term goals?

I really just want the group to be the best it can be. We have such a talented group of people here, and we are slowly making ourselves more known. I would like to see us start performing more places with different groups; maybe sing outdoors in the Public Garden or something. Also I would like the group to remain a family. Things are hard when you see a lot of changes and dealing with business makes it difficult to get along, but at the end of the day, you share much more than the stage with these people and that’s the most important thing.

Suffolk’s Rampage Show Choir performing “September.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSkQapzxVbM

Chelsea Graham Broadcast Journalism Major Campus Celebrity Reporter
Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.