Profile: Emma O. Feathers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Name:

Emma O. Feathers

Graduation Year:

2017

Major:

Entrepreneurship, Minors in Finance and Legal Studies

Hometown:

Lake George, NY

Astrological Sign:

Taurus

Favorite Color(s):

Purple and Green

On Campus Involvment: 

The Entrepreneurship Club, VP

Resident Assistant, Third-year, 10 West apartments

The HUB, Scholar

ASB, Leader

Senior Week Committee, Member

The Golden Gavel, Secretary

National Society for Leadership and Success, Member

Her Campus Suffolk: Tell me about your consulting business.

Emma O. Feathers: I started West 23 Consulting when I was a sophomore living at 10 West. We focus on providing the highest quality of service for start-ups for only what they can afford. We help companies from everything from figuring out if their idea is profitable to getting round A funding. We’ve worked with companies from the service sector, to the technology, to things as cool as a helicopter company.

HCS: What inspired you to start it?

EOF: I was always attracted to the consulting industry and after taking a class I was helping other student entrepreneurs answer important questions about their businesses simply, because they trusted me to ask. Through a culmination of taking a consulting-based class and learning more about how I was helping these students, I realized that I was already consulting so I essentially put a name and logo to it. That’s when West 23 Consulting was born.

HCS: How did Suffolk support your goals?

EOF: The Suffolk Entrepreneurship community has supported me through my venture, because there is this culture that tells students to choose their ventures and businesses ahead of school (to a certain extent). My professors want me to succeed and they push me to work harder on my company, which also helps equip me with the skills to work harder in class. Also, Suffolk has given me this strong base of integrity that I carry through my work as well as impress upon my company. These are things like hiring practices, being a company focused on bettering their industry rather than being entirely profit driven, and being conscious to the indirect stakeholders.

HCS: Why are you passionate about consulting?

EOF: It’s something that I’ve always done; innately if anything; only later to find out my grandfather owned his own consulting firm when he was alive. I love being the person who not only has the answer, but also being that person that people trust to go to when they need help. I enjoy my specialty and the adversary piece I can play for my clients. I get inspired by seeing my client’s inspiration and I’m passionate about consulting and the industry, because you can be the difference between someone having a job or their business going under and you can help someone’s dream become your reality. It’s a beautiful thing to see.

HCS: What tips do you have for women trying to start their own businesses?

EOF: Tip number 1 is to believe in yourself! Nobody else will believe in you as much as you can and you’re also the only one to make the things you want happen.

Tip number 2 is to let you know you’re about to enter a white male dominated space. You will be surrounded by men who can succeed more easily than you because they have a societal advantage. Don’t get discouraged. Get amped up to kick ass and outshine them!

Tip number 3 is to choose happiness, not money and if that means taking a smaller paycheck, it’s always worth it if you love what you’re doing.

HCS: What activities do you enjoy doing outside of school?

EOF: I’m your classic millennial grandma. I love to knit and read books. I love long walks and contemplating the meaning of life and then every so often I enjoy joining other college students in the typical nightlife of Boston.

HCS: Who would play you in a movie about your life?

EOF: Well I do Emma Watson’s stunts for all her movies so it would probably be fun to switch up those roles.

HCS: What is your favorite thing about Suffolk?

EOF: The opportunity! I’ve done so much during my time at Suffolk and I don’t think that would have been possible at a big school with a typical campus. These opportunities have allowed me to gain a lot of skills that I’m now finding set me apart from other student entering the workforce.

.