Panera Cares Opens in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Did you know that 16 million children do not have enough to eat each day? – And that’s just children – that number doesn’t even include the unfortunate adults or elderly suffering from hunger in this world. With this food insecurity issue worsening each day, Panera has stepped up to the plate to help fight hunger and raise awareness. 

Panera recently opened its 5th Panera Cares location right outside of Government Center here in Boston. Panera Cares is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that strives to ensure no one is left without a meal. 

Panera Cares carries the same meal choices as Panera and looks the same on the inside. However, there is one major difference: no registers. The only thing that you’ll find in Panera Cares is a place to make donations. Instead of a set price, Panera Cares will quote customers a suggested donation price. Customers then have the option to pay that price, pay less, or pay more for their meal. For those who are unable to pay anything, Panera requests one hour of their time to help in the café that will then result in a meal voucher. 

On its website, Panera Cares states that “60% of people leave the suggested donation, 15-20% leave more and 15-20% leave less or nothing.” All of the money donated goes to help keep the café up and running, and provide food for those who cannot afford it otherwise. 

To find out more or how you can help please visit: 

http://paneracares.org

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.