Not So New, but Definitely Improved, One Direction: Allow Them to Reintroduce Themselves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

It was just two years ago when these 5 gawky lads auditioned for The X Factor in the UK. After some rather interesting and comical auditions, just a few rounds in they all got a big fat X.  But just when they thought it was all over, it had really just begun. They were told they could remain on the show, but only if they performed as a group. Having only just met each other, they quickly came up with the now household name, “One Direction.” Ultimately they took home 3rd place in the competition.

While they were doing all of that they looked like this…

Now, it’s two years later, and their debut album was number one in 15 countries, they have beat out artists, such as Adele and Ed Sheeran for the BRIT award for Best Single of 2012, have over 5 million facebook friends, 3 million twitter followers, and have absolutely stolen the hearts of billions of girls across the world. Some of you may be asking yourselves “WHY? HOW?” Well this is why and this is how.

The members of One Direction now look like this….

Read on for the transformation of each individual member of this iconic boy band.

[pagebreak]

Boys to Men

Harry Styles: He is easy on the eyes, edgy in all the right ways, and can pull off pants tighter than any girl I know. He is the youngest member of One Direction, and is credited with coming up with the bands name. He is also known to be the “flirt” of the group, with a dating history that includes Cara Delevingne, Taylor Swift, and Caroline Flack (who was 32 when he was a mere 17), it’s safe to say he has got game.

[pagebreak]

Liam Payne: He’s best known for being the most sensible and grounded member of the group. Perhaps that’s how he got the nickname, “Dad.” Even though the group claims to not have a lead singer, you can expect to hear Liam’s soothing voice on every track. 

[pagebreak]

Louis Tomlinson: The oldest, and perhaps most improved, member of One Direction. He’s known to be a bit of a joker. He’s also best known for his X Factor audition, where he sang his rendition of, “Hey There Delilah” (You’ll see why).  He is also said to be Harry Styles’s “Man Crush.”

For extra laughs watch the audition here:

[pagebreak]

Niall Horan: The only member of the group who is not from England. This Irish lad is known to be the most outgoing and goofy member of the group. He is also most likely to talk to the crowd during concerts. Niall has been known to dress up in disguise and talk to fans before shows. He has an innocent and undeniable boy next-door appeal.

[pagebreak]

Zayn Malik: The self-proclaimed “misunderstood” bad boy of the group. Zayn was almost kicked out of the group in its early stages for not showing up for a meeting with the other members (But don’t worry they squashed their beef long ago). He is English and Pakistani. Zayn enjoys graffiti art and his family. He even bought his mother a house. Sorry ladies you can look but you can’t touch, Zayn is engaged to Perrie Edwards, lead vocalist for Little Mix (former X Factor winners). 

And there you have it….the new and improved One D.

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.