No Internship? No Job? No Problem!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The end of spring semester is knocking on the door. You have spent countless hours applying for internships tweaking your resume and catering cover letters for each individual company. Maybe instead of applying for internships, you have spent many afternoons walking around filling out generic applications and trying to find a decently paying job for the summer. Somehow after interviews and follow-up emails or phone calls you have nothing to show for it. The initial sting of what feels like missed opportunity can be disheartening. It is easy to feel as though all the time and effort you put into finding an internship and/or a job has gone to waste. 

Whatever you do DO NOT GET DOWN ON YOURSELF. Your summer has turned into a blank canvas. Most your friends and peers will be stuck indoors working for “the man” either behind a cubicle or working ungodly hours in a restaurant. Not being tied down to an internship or a job opens up your summer for travel. No internship? No job? No problem. Spend your summer traveling. Get out and experience everything that the world has to offer! The world is your oyster, and it’s time to make some pearls. Whether it is a trip near or far, familiar or new, a summer spent traveling will not be a waste of your time. You have the freedom to travel anywhere you can imagine and it’s time to start planning.

The best place to begin planning for a trip is to set a budget. Between food, lodging, and sightseeing, how much money are you willing to spend? The sooner you figure out a budget, the easier it will be to start saving your pennies. Do you really need your signature $4.00 coffee from your local coffee shop every morning? The next time you have a caffeine craving, think about how awesome it will be when you can wake up and experience the local coffee shop on your travels! This is just one example of how easy it is to cut corners in your spending habits and make small investments into yourself.

Once you have a budget, it’s time to decide on a location! In this step you will be asking yourself a lot of questions. Are you looking for a relaxing getaway or are you ready to be immersed in a fast paced city? Do you want to travel somewhere with a unique culture rich in history? Are you a foodie? An adventurer? Do you want to travel to one place or travel to many places? Your budget will probably determine how far and long you will be able to go, but the choice is all yours! Scared to travel solo? Find a friend to join you!  

So far you have created a budget and settled on a destination and you’re feeling awesome. Here’s the important part; research your travel destination as if you were writing a final paper. It’s unwise to go into a test when you have a lack of confidence in what you studied. The same goes for traveling. If you have researched your trip, you will feel confident when you arrive at your destination.

Did you read through this entire article feeling overwhelmed by the thought of planning a trip? Let Contiki Vacations take care of you. Since 1962 Contiki has served as the original travel company for 18-35 year olds. Whether it is a quick 3 day trip or a long term 6 week adventure, Contiki currently offers trips in over 46 countries and 6 continents. That’s a lot of options! Contiki will set-up accommodations, dining, and activities for you to choose from on your trip. The best part of embarking on a Contiki vacation is that the trips are designed for travelers who are just like you. If you are traveling solo or with a friend, it is highly likely that you will meet amazing people who are equally as excited about the magic of traveling and experiencing a new place.

Maybe having no internship or a job does not sound so bad after all? At the end of the summer you can come back to school in the fall with memories that will last a lifetime.