New and Current Music You Need to Hear If You Haven’t Already

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

March 1st, 2019 was more than just the beginning of a brand new month. It marked the day that one of the most iconic boy bands of all time, the Jonas Brothers, released a brand new song after their hiatus of almost 7 years. It also however, was a day that several artists released new works, finally bringing some excitement back into the music industry. Here is some new music that has been released recently that you should check out if you haven’t already!

“Sucker” – the Jonas Brothers

Image from: E! Online

As I mentioned above, the Jonas Brothers are officially back and my 11 year old self is somewhere crying (who am I kidding, 20 year old me is crying). Initially, the band broke up in 2012 to pursue solo projects and start families.

However, the hiatus is over and your favorite siblings are back with a new song “Sucker.” I knew before I even heard it, the song was going to be a hit, and the JoBros truly did THAT. They also gave us an epic music video featuring their loves and I don’t know what more we could ask for. I can only hope an album just as epic is on the way.

“Wasteland, Baby!” – Hozier

Image from: Genius.com

March 1st continued with more new music as Hozier finally dropped a new album, 5 years after his first self-titled release featuring hits like “Take Me to Church” and “Work Song.”  He also released a short EP called “Nina Cried Power” in September, but fans were excited to receive a full body of work on Friday. The new album “Wasteland, Baby!” consists of 14 tracks and I can’t wait to hear them.

“When I Get Home” – Solange

Image from: Stereogum.com

Finally, March 1st brought us a new album from Solange, making it truly a great day for music. I really enjoyed “A Seat at the Table” which was released back in 2016. “When I Get Home” consists of 19 new tracks (a few are shorter interludes) but nonetheless still so much to listen to, and I can’t wait.

Although March 1st was an extraordinary day for music, the past few weeks prior have also brought us some amazing new albums and singles.

On February 7th, 2018, The Chainsmokers and 5 Seconds of Summer dropped a new single called “Who Do You Love” and it is a fantastic collaboration. I might be biased considering the two are both in my top 5 favorite bands/duos, but the pairing was unexpected, yet just what the music industry needed. Also in exciting news, they’re going on tour together this year and you already know I got my tickets for the Boston date.

Image from: Wikipedia

Another album that dropped recently that people have not stopped talking about is “thank u, next” by Ariana Grande, which was released on February 8th, 2018.  Including singles such as “thank u, next” and “7 rings” the album consists of 12 tracks. The artist was truly working hard all of 2018, as her 4th album “Sweetener” dropped just 6 months prior in August of 2018. I will admit, the latest release isn’t my favorite that she’s put out, but I truly respect her hustle and dedication to her fans.

Image from: Wikipedia

And of course, there’s always a few rumors going around in the music industry just to keep us on our toes. This may or may not be confirmed, but Miley Cyrus is supposedly dropping a new album soon featuring a track called “Playboy” with Shawn Mendes. I absolutely lived for their collab performance at the Grammys so I hope this is true!

Image from: people.com

I’ve also seen rumored on Twitter that Rihanna is currently working on not one, but TWO new albums and there is nothing I need in my life more right now than some new Rihanna songs.

Image from: people.com

I guess we will have to stay tuned and see what’s coming next!

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.