Michael McMahon ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

When senior Mike McMahon isn’t at Suffolk taking classes, he’s working as a high school sports correspondent for The Boston Globe. This week’s Campus Celeb gives you the lowdown on what it’s like to be a student and a reporter. 

Name: Michael McMahon

Major: Print Journalism

Year: Senior

Hometown: East Hartford, Connecticut

Hobbies: Sports, playing super smash brothers on N64, playing guitar, collecting vinyl, going to concerts.  

Social Media: Instagram and Twitter – @McWham

How did you get involved with The Boston Globe?

I know a lot of people from Suffolk who have worked at the Globe so I applied for the spring co-op last semester. It is something I have wanted to do since I was a freshman.

What section do you write for? Why do you like it?

I work in the sports department. I write weekly feature stories for the regional sports section and also provide high school sports  coverage for the daily sports section. I find all of my own stories so it’s great to go through the search process and go out and cover your own story and see it all the way through.

Is it difficult to balance school and working at The Globe?

I’m only taking one class while I’m on co-op so I can stay on track to graduate in May. It is kind of inconvenient though with taking a Friday afternoon class and having to cover high school football on Friday night.

Are you involved in clubs or organizations on campus?

Yes. I am the managing editor for The Suffolk Voice and I am so proud of the advancements we have made over the last four years. I was also an orientation leader in the summer of 2013 which was also a great experience.

Do you have any advice for younger students trying to get their writing out there?

Don’t stop writing. I know it is tough with school but just keep doing it. It become muscle memory. I can really only speak to sports writers here, but do more than write blogs about the Patriots, Red Sox and Bruins. Go out and cover a beat for The Voice or The Journal. Employers want to see you can cover a beat and conduct interviews.

How has your experience at Suffolk been?

Suffolk has been about what I expected it to be. I wanted to come to a major sports market and get a chance to cover the teams I grew up with, Which I have been able to do with Bruins press passes with The Voice. I wish Suffolk had a bigger sports scene but I have made due and have met a ton of great people in the process.

Anything else?

I also interned with Sports Illustrated last spring covering hockey for their website. That was an incredible experience and I was humbled by getting a byline with such a prestigious publication.

Journalism student in Boston / Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk. I'm into politics, pop music, and parks. I tweet about TV and lipstick. @nikkimfell