Meet the Her-Campus Suffolk Team!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Meet HC Suffolk’s Editors!

Erica Jane Markle

• Hometown:
    Guilford, Connecticut
  • Major and Year of Graduation: Public Relations, 2014
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote: “You know, I know, the sun will always shine.” -Bob Dylan
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):I love to meet new people and experiencing new things. I also love to dance, and have been dancing since I was three. I absolutely love the beach and everything about summer, winter is not my thing. I work at Jack Wills on Newbury Street, and have been working there since it opened. My favorite food is sushi, I could eat it all day everyday. I love spending time with family and friends and after college I definitely want to live in California.
  • Relationship Status: Single
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy:Eyes and smile are give-ins. And oddly enough, I love defined jawlines.
  • Most important quality in a guy:He has to have a fun personality and be easy to get along with.
  • One personal item you could not live without:Make-up!

Mackenzie Talbot Newcomb

• Hometown:
    Marshfield, Massachusetts
  • Major and Year of Graduation:Entrepreneurship, 2015
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten. “- Tony Robbins
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):I’m editor for Suffolk’s branch of hercampus, and an Intern for an online personal shopping site called Shopsy.  I’m a workaholic and I have a problem with saying “no” to opportunity. I started my own business my senior year of high school, and my mind is constantly racing with new business ideas… weird I know. In my spare time I like to blog, workout and party. I’m extremely emotionally invested in every aspect of my life, I follow my heart more then my brain. I was voted class “gossip” as my superlative in high school, not sure if that is something to be proud of but I kinda am. I have a love-hate relationship with high heels. I’m by far the most feminine person I know, everything I own is a shade of pink. I have double jointed shoulder blades and a webbed toe, its totally weird but I’m happy to show you.
  • Relationship Status: Single
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy:I like guys with nice skin and arms, I’m really big on guys who take good care of themselves.
  • Most important quality in a guy:Ambition, I like a guy who works hard for what he has and has a lot of goals.  In the end its really just about compatability, it doesn’t take me very long to know if I can see myself with someone.
  • One personal item you could not live without:I’m not a particularly materialistic person. I know that sounds surprising because I’m a shopping addict, but I don’t really have any emotional ties to any of my things.  That being said, I’d be really pissed off if something happened to my laptop, there goes my life.

& Meet the team!

Victoria Hilshey
 (social media director)

• Hometown:
    Gloucester, MA
  • Major and Year of Graduation: Majoring in Media Studies, double minoring in Spanish and Computer Science
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“Life is a choice. It is your life. Choose consciously, choose wisely, choose honestly. Choose happiness.”
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):My Twitter bio sums me up pretty well, “@torihilshey Beach baby. Snow bunny. Vinyl collector. Photo bomber. Guitar dabbler. Social media addict. Adventure seeker. Welcome to the circus. #longhairdontcare
  • Relationship Status:I don’t believe in relationship statuses or labels, but I am interested in someone at the moment.
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy:I really like when a guy has an infectious smile because it makes me want to smile.
  • Most important quality in a guy:I’m not a mind reader when it comes to dating and relationships, so I’m really upfront and forward about what I think and feel. The most important quality in a guy for me would be the ability to communicate back to me what they are thinking and feeling.
  • One personal item you could not live without:My Pentax camera has huge sentimental value to me. My best friend gave it to me and I would be devastated if it got broken or lost.

Alexa Nicole Mellardo

• Hometown:
    Trumbull, CT
  • Major and Year of Graduation: Broadcast Journalism/Print Journalism, Class of 2015.
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) Quote: “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone” – Audrey Hepburn
  •  Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts): My name is Alexa and I am currently a freshman at Suffolk.  Fashion, baking (red velvet cupcakes are my specialty!), and taking pictures are my passions.  Staying in shape is extremely important to me; I love bike riding, working out at the gym, and running through Boston Commons!  I play the harp and the electric guitar.  I have also danced (ballet, tap, and jazz) for sixteen years.  Skiing in the winter and surfing in the summer are two of my favorite hobbies.  I am obsessed with muscle cars…my dad and I always take our 1977 Pontiac Le Mans to car shows every summer.  When I graduate college, I hope to be a distinguished writer for Vogue Fashion Magazine.
  • Relationship Status: In a Relationship
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy: The two features I notice on a guy first are his Eyes & Smile.  I absolutely love when a guy has unique eyes and a charming smile =)
  • Most important quality in a guy: Loyalty is one of the most attractive characteristics I look for in a guy.  If he is not loyal, then the relationship will definitely not last very long!  In addition, an awesome personality makes a guy really sexy.
  • One personal item you could not live without: I could not live without my 2006 silver Mustang…it’s my baby!

Nicole Rosa

• Hometown:
    Wallingford, CT
  • Major and Year of Graduation:Advertising Major, Graphic Design Minor 2015
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“Comparison is the thief of joy” – Theodore Roosevelt
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts): Wallingford isn’t too bad of a town but I always knew I wanted to live in the city someday. Even though I’m a huge New York sports fan, I chose Boston as my home and I dont regret it! I play catcher and shortstop on the Suffolk Softball team. I like to discover new music and I especially have a thing for white rappers. In the future I would love to explore different jobs in advertising, photography, and the fashion industry. My dream job would be at Vogue or Nylon Magazine.
  • Relationship Status: Single
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy:Height. I’m pretty tall for a girl so he has to be taller than me.
  • Most important quality in a guy:So cliché, but definitely the combo of a good personality and looks.
  • One personal item you could not live without:My hair curler and straightener. If my hair doesn’t look good, my entire day is ruined!

Madeline (Maddie) Fritz

• Hometown:
    York, Maine
  • Major and Year of Graduation: Undeclared 2015
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“Life is a balance between holding on and letting go”
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):I have been dancing since I was two years old. I’m a certified Zumba and Zumbatomic instructor. I absolutely love house and dubstep music and I have worked as a rave dancer for L.A known, DJ Icey. My dad was a locally known DJ throughout Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. At home I work as a camp counselor to 2-5 year olds. I pay for people behind me at the tollbooths.
  • Relationship Status: Single
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy: Arms, Eyes and Smile :)
  • Most important quality in a guy:Can make me laugh and love me for me.
  • One personal item you could not live without:My poster size picture of me and my three best friends at Identity Festival. The picture explains all of us to the absolute tee and to make the picture even better, it was taken on the best night of my life.

Chelsea Ann Graham

• Hometown:
    Marshfield, MA
  • Major and Year of Graduation:Broadcast Journalism/2014
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“There is only one happiness in life- to love and to be loved.”
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):My name is Chelsea Graham and I am a sophomore at Suffolk. My favorite activities are music and dance. I have been playing piano for ten years and can also play guitar. I have done all types of dance and from as young as five years old I have done Irish step dancing. My favorite hobby is just relaxing on the beaches in my town.
  • Relationship Status: In a relationship
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy: His smile
  • Most important quality in a guy: Sense of humor
  • One personal item you could not live without: Family photos

Allie Doheny

• Hometown:
    North Haven, CT
  • Major and Year of Graduation:Public Relations 2014
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” – Wayne Gretzky
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):In high school I was the captain of the field hockey, ice hockey and softball team. I love fashion; I work at Jack Wills on Newbury St. I also love all types of music (I have been to 10 phish shows) and despite living in Boston I am an avid New York Rangers fan!
  • Relationship Status: Single
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy:A nice smile…and if he can sing and play guitar too, it’s a done deal!
  • Most important quality in a guy:I love a guy who can make me laugh and who has a good personality.
  • One personal item you could not live without:I don’t think I would survive without my hockey stick and skates. And sour gummy worms (they are literally the key to my heart).

Janea Huerta

• Hometown:
    Valley Village, California
  • Major and Year of Graduation:Public Relations and 2014
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“If you don’t chew Big Red, then F**K you!”- Ricky Bobby
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):Hey I’m Janea, born and raised in California and one of my favorite hobbies is listening and looking for new music to check out!
  • Relationship Status: Single
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy: Can’t decide
  • Most important quality in a guy: Personality for sure!
  • One personal item you could not live without:I honestly cannot live without a package of Big Red gum in any bag of mine whenever I go out.

Stephanie Rubino

• Hometown:
    Deer Park, NY (Long Island)
  • Major and Year of Graduation: Journalism Major Class of 2015
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote: “It’s not about success its about experience and significance.”
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts): One of my favorite things to do is perform. I grew up dancing for 15 years and have been singing for as long as I can remember. Music is a big part of my life whether singing it or listening to it.  I’m also a huge sports fan and love going to games. Other interests include reading, photography, traveling, spending time with friends warm weather and being outside.
  • Relationship Status: Hard to explain but happy.
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy: Smile and Eyes
  • Most important quality in a guy: Definitely respect and loyalty.  A guy should not only respect other people, but himself as well. Of course a good sense of humor can’t hurt either.
  • One personal item you could not live without: Photos and Scrapbooks, I love looking back on old memories.

Molly Hubert

• Hometown:
    Syracuse, NY
  • Major and Year of Graduation:Broadcast Journalism major, 2014
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“In order to be irreplaceable, one must be different,” said by Coco Chanel.
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):I’m mostly into just having a good time with my friends and experiencing new things with them. I love going to school, and when I’m not in class I’m most likely drinking coffee, reading, shopping on Newbury St., or playing tennis.
  • Relationship Status: Single
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy: I love broad shoulders on a guy
  • Most important quality in a guy:Most important quality is a tie between intelligence and a sense of humor. There’s nothing uglier to me than a guy who can’t take a joke.
  • One personal item you could not live without:My watch-it has such a sense of nostalgia that can’t be topped by electronic clocks.

Christina Anastassia Goulas

• Hometown:
    Bridgewater, New Jersey and Glyfatha, Greece
  • Major and Year of Graduation:Marketing Major, Advertising Minor, 2015
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”- Dr. Seuss
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):My life is one big “small world” story, and as I’ve traveled more I’ve figured that out. Clearly I like photography, because I’m a photoblogger. I like to surround myself with good company and music of all genres, but when I’m not around people I enjoy doing my own thing. I’m an adventure seeker, down to do anything, follow the fun or make my own kinda girl.  Try to stay drama free, for sure. I have to incorporate laughter in my day.  I love meeting new people and finding out their entire life story. Although I look irish, I’m greek at heart.
  • Relationship Status: single
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy: smile + style
  • Most important quality in a guy:I like a guy I can do everything with, because I’m always down to try new things. I need someone I can be myself around.
  • One personal item you could not live without: Nutella

Matilda Anna Ivarsson

• Hometown:
    Stockholm, Sweden
  • Major and Year of Graduation:Broadcast Journalism major, 2015
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it´s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” -Marilyn Monroe
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):I grew up in three different countries, Stockholm, Sweden, Paris, France and Boston, USA. Growing up I always loved horseback riding, tennis and martial arts! Shopping is the hobby that takes up most time, except for hanging out with friends. I listen to music probably 23 hours of each day! After high school, I took two years off and went to Thailand to do volunteer work at an orphanage – it was amazing!
  • Relationship Status: Recently Single!
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy: Beautiful eyes
  • Most important quality in a guy:To be respectful!
  • One personal item you could not live without:My watch!

Lisa Marie Cabral

• Hometown:
    Charlestown, MA
  • Major and Year of Graduation:PR Major, Marketing Minor, Graduating 2014
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“all of our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them” – Walt Disney 
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):I grew up in Charlestown, MA living with my mom and dad, and even though my immediate family is small my extended family is huge! On my dad’s side alone I have 26 FIRST cousins, and 28 SECOND cousins. I’m Portuguese, Italian and Irish. I was a cheerleader for 15 years of my life, and played softball for about 8. I completed my first internship with the Boston Bruins and am now currently working as an intern for KISS 108 & JAM’N 94.5.  I’ve also gone to Disney World every two years since I was 6, which means I’ve gone about 12 times now and can’t wait to go back!
  • Relationship Status: In a relationship
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy: Eyes & arms
  • Most important quality in a guy: Good personality.
  • One personal item you could not live without:I couldn’t live without my Pandora bracelet from my boyfriend. I wear it every single day and it means so much to me!

Jamilla Danae Van Dyke – Bailey

• Hometown:
    Boston, Massachusetts
  • Major and Year of Graduation:English: Creative Writing; 2015
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“To Write Is To Live Forever” – Anonymous
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):I love crocheting, reading, writing, watching movies and television and listening to music. I think I am the dorkiest, quirkiest, weirdest person ever. I am annoyingly shy and crass at times. I want to be a famous writer, singer and actress someday. My current celebrity crush is Tyler Okonma (Tyler, The Creator).
  • Relationship Status:Single & READY TO MINGLE
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy: Eyes
  • Most important quality in a guy:Other than stereotypical qualities… I need to date a dude with a good sense of humor. If you aren’t funny then you can’t be my honey.
  • One personal item you could not live without:My heart…JK. Jay Z: The Black Album; it is why I fell in love with music in the first place

Alyse Couture

• Hometown:
    Sharon, CT
  • Major and Year of Graduation:Communications, 2014
  • High School Yearbook (or favorite) quote:“The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything”
  • Three to Six sentences about yourself (hobbies/interests/activities/fun facts):I am fun loving, and love everything about being outdoors. My favorite way to spend time is sitting with my friends by the lake or kayaking.
  • Relationship Status: Single
  • Favorite Feature/Body Part in a guy:My favorite feature on a guy would have to be their eyes and their smile.
  • Most important quality in a guy:The most important quality in a guy is a sense of humor and a good personality.
  • One personal item you could not live without:Something I could not live without is my black lab, Jimmy or my Long Champ bag.
My name is Alexa Mellardo and I am currently a sophomore and Broadcast Journalism major at Suffolk University, located in the heart of one of the most charming cities in the world: Boston. A passionate journalist, I am fortunate to be doing what I love to do….writing! When I’m not composing articles for two awesome online publications (hercampus.com and also collegefashionista.com) and attending classes, I intern at a trendy magazine in the city. In between, I love to shop and spend time with my friends and my boyfriend. I have two addictions: shopping and cupcakes. In light of that, what better place to be than just blocks away from Newbury Street, Charles Street and Quincy Market? My quaint, vintage brownstone apartment in Beacon Hill is where my two best friends and I keep it strictly classy and fashionable. We turned our apartment into a comfy fashionable haven, and we enjoy relaxing and entertaining our friends. Living in such an awesome city provides a wealth of opportunity, fun, and culture to embrace. My dream is to one day be a respected, well-known broadcast journalist.
Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.