This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Towards the end of February, and slipping into March (September – October for spring fashion) the fashion elite migrate to the land and home of Pizza, pasta and ridiculously good-looking men – Italy. Twice a year Milan hosts the Milan Fashion Shows and events.

Milan Fashion Week was established in 1958 and is today owned by Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana (for non-Italian speakers – The National Chamber for Italian Fashion). This is a non-profit association that is responsible for hosting the spectacular fashion shows and events.

Dolce & Gabbana

If you haven’t heard of these two fabulous gay men you have been living under a rock! They have been described as “fashion’s answer to Viagra.” Their brand, Dolce & Gabbana, was established in 1985 by Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana. Dolce a son of a tailor, and Gabbana, the son of Milanese print worker. The two met on the beautiful island of Sicily, Italy. With a shared love for floral and animal prints, no duo makes sexier, more female appealing garments.

Missoni

Missoni is the idyllic family run company; established by couple Rosita and Ottavio in 1953 as a knitwear factory. Due to industry connections and the uniqueness of the clothing, Missoni grew, and in 1967 Missoni had its first catwalk show in Florence, Italy. Garments under the Missoni name are easily recognizable; knitwear in vivid colors, mismatching patterns and the classic “zig-zag” have become a sensation in the world of fashion. In 1997 daughter Angela Missoni took over the creative duties and took the company further. Today there are Missoni Hotels, M Missoni line (less expensive), as well as Missoni Sports. This fall Missoni did a beautiful collaboration with Swedish low budget brand Lindex. Today all the three children of Rosita and Ottavio are in the business, as well as granddaughter Margherita, who has become a muse and model for the company!

SS13

Valentino

Valentino Garavani – one of the biggest names in the industry, known for his to die for evening dresses. Born in Milan in 1932, he travelled to Paris at just 17 to keep up his studies of mode. By 1959 he was back in Italy to set up his own atelier. One of his first clients was the amazing Elizabeth Taylor. Good thing Valentino met Giancarlo Giametti in 60’s, because he became the business brains behind the brand and helped it expand. Today his designs go for a bit more than the average monthly pay-check, but aren’t they so worth it?

SS13

Versace

This botox-ed, blonde is described as ”a goddess of fashion.” Born in Italy back in 1955, she is the head of the empire known as Versace, founded in 1978 by Gianni Versace (Donatella’s brother). She is the chief designer and vice president, owning 20% of the stocks. Her brother Santo owns 30% and her daughter Allegra inherited 50% from Gianni when he unfortunately died in 1997.  Allegra was a minor when this went down so she passed it over in her mother’s care. Today she is studying in New York as well as treating her disease  (anorexia), so Donatella is still sitting on 70% of the stocks.

Versace is known for being very luxurious, lots of gold and strong colors mixed with black, yet sometimes they tend to cross over the fine line of tacky (in my opinion). They are also one of the few brands that do not sew in haute couture.

Haute Couture is French for ”high fashion” or ”high sewing.” It is usually made to order, with expensive and delicate fabrics, and put together by extremely talented seamstresses.

SS13

Matilda is our Style Section Editor from Sweden. Born in Sweden, she grew up partially in Paris and Boston as well. Entering her Junior year, she has been with Her Campus for three years!
Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.