Culture > News

Marissa Kearney – Presidential Candidate for the 2020-2021 SGA Elections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Be good, Do good, pass it on. That is the type of community Student Government Association (SGA) Presidential candidate Marissa Kearney wants to create at Suffolk University. She is passionate about building up the already strong community students, faculty, and the entire Suffolk community has created.

When trying to decide what school she would be attending for the next four years she was automatically drawn to the welcoming, inviting atmosphere of Suffolk. As a child, she would visit the State House with her mom who was on the New England Chapter of The Autism Speaks board. “Suffolk has always felt like home,” is how Marissa describes what being a student at this university means to her. 

Kearney’s Be good Do good campaign flourished from her struggle with inclusivity. As the sister to an autistic brother, Kearney had to learn at a young age that not everyone is welcoming to people who are different from them. Being a student at one of the most diverse universities in Boston, Kearney wants everyone to feel welcomed and accepted.

Simply put Be good, Do good, and then pass that on. Kearney contributes to this diverse inclusive community as a member of SGA, Hall Council and as an Orientation Leader. 

SGA has given her the opportunity to learn all about leadership positions, “In SGA you put everyone above you. It’s a role of advocacy and helping others.” Kearney said when asked to describe why she wanted this position. She understands the role is to serve and listen, put other’s wishes above her own. She thoroughly enjoyed her time as co-chair on the Public Relations committee for SGA and being a member of the SGA awards committee.

As Vice President for The 10 West Hall Council, Kearney is able to collaborate with other organizations and work as a team player. She has planned many events, as part of this committee to enhance student life in the dorms. The events include but are not limited to; door decorating, food pantry drives, free food nights and arts and crafts to only further enhance Suffolk’s sense of community. 

Over the summer, Kearney was accepted as an Orientation Leader for the incoming 2023 Freshman class. In this position, Kearney decided to take a different approach. “It was exciting for me to learn that as a leader one thing I need to learn was to take a step back when I wasn’t needed. As extroverted as I am, this was hard for me to overcome.”

Now Kearney’s leadership ability is a more well-rounded approach. She knows when to take charge and when to observe a situation, all good qualities to have in a president.

Her leadership continues through the school year as a Teaching Assistant for a Sophomore transfer class on business foundations. This position gave her the ability to work more closely with her peers on something she was passionate about, business management. 

Off-campus Kearney’s relentless drive is shown. Through her position as a sales associate at Charleston Shoe Co. teaches her how to balance school, work, extracurriculars, and life. Kearney values the importance of working hard to make a life for herself and the value of money. She has to be able to budget her weeks accordingly and she hopes to carry this trait into the office of SGA president.

All of these characteristics combined that Kearney has learned as she has immersed herself in both the Suffolk and Boston communities, have given her the capability to run for SGA President. Kearney feels confident that she will be able to run her term in office not as the voice for everyone, but to give everyone their own chance to be their own voice.

She wants to be remembered as a good person, as someone who fought for what she believes in and worked hard to accomplish those goals. Kearney wants to be a listener, advocate for members of our community and be transparent about solutions. She will focus on sustainability in our cafeterias and continue to fight for more plant-based meals.

Kearney will put an emphasis on mental health and inclusivity. These are not new concepts for her, She lives a plant-based lifestyle and has always been passionate about being positive in order to enhance her own mental health along with those around her. 

Remember that voting for all SGA positions will open on March 2nd at 9 am and run through March 4th until 5 PM. Everyone will be sent a personal, non-sharable link in their emails that can be used to vote. If you are unable to vote through your email you can go to the third floor of sawyer and vote in person.

Hi, my name is Hannah Costello and I am a Junior at Suffolk University. I am a VP of My sorority Alpha Sigma Alpha and I am also on the speech and debate team on campus. I grew up In New Hampshire and have always had a love for writing to express myself and inform other people. I am a dog enthusiasts and avid chi latte drinker.
Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.