Kim Kardashian Era’s Throughout Her Rising In the Socialite Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Kim Kardashain has not always been this centered in socialite scene with as much as influence and wealth as today. From her days as a “wild girl,” to being a reality TV show star, to becoming a socialite, she has gone through a lot of transitions and eras during her time in the spotlight. Before I go through some of Kim’s moments down the timeline, I would like to add that this article was inspired by a commentary video by Tee Noir.

The thing that catapulted and landed Kim on to where she is now is the tape that got leaked. However you feel about it, Kim and her family have addressed it. Though Kim’s attitude regarding this has changed, she does publicly acknowledge that it generated a lot of discourse and attention. The key point here is that Kim’s sexual appeal is not something the general public continues to associate with her. While it once brought her hate and criticism, it is no longer what the public sees (Noir).

In the 2000’s, reality tv personalities and shows were significant among American culture. It was an easy way to become popular and gain influence, and Kim really took advantage of the time’s opportunities. The first episode of the show “Keeping Up With The Kardashians” took America by storm as it was released. It held a lot of mass attention and continues to do so to this day. Reality shows in the 2000’s were often about unruly and unique personalities, which Kim showcased. To reinforce that image outside of the show, she also spent a lot of time Paris Hilton who, at the time, was the queen of night life.

Over time, the media has discussed the cosmetic procedures that she may have allegedly gotten done. We have seen a lot of people desire and try to achieve Kim’ look. Her aesthetics, including her clothes and body type, has been something that general public pays a lot of attention too. These has helped her maintain an appearence in magazines and social media feeds. There has been controversy on whether she contributes to the media’s promotion of unrealistic body expectations. Not only that, but the cultural appropriation that she may have been a part of through her clothing choices has generated criticism as well. She is once again changing her style, now in her blonde era, and this won’t be the last time.

Kim today is considered as more than just a pretty face due to the talent and skills she has acquired. She has been in political affairs, such as being invited to the white house and pardoning Black men in an oppressive prison system. Her skills and actions have helped her get into the exclusive circle of the “elitists.” She will continue to evolve accordingly to the times and, at the end, maybe we will see her end goal.

I'm a freshman at Suffolk University majoring in Public Relations(PR). I'm Salvadorian and was born and raised there during my childhood years. Topics and beliefs that interest me are pop culture and also women's rights. That is because the influences that come from the mainstream hold weight in our values and morals but it’s entertaining as well. As for women's rights, I just find it important for one to advocate for oneself and also for other women because we are all in this together.