Kanye West Thinks Kim Kardashian’s Met Gala Look Was “Too Sexy,” and We’re Not Here for It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Kim Kardashian wore a custom Thierry Mugler dress to the 2019 Met Gala that was designed with stunning crystal droplets to make the reality star look as if she had just stepped out of the ocean. The look was one of the highlights of the event, themed “Camp: Notes on Fashion,” although some were not as fond of the dress, including Kim’s husband, Kanye West. 

During an episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians that aired earlier this month, it was revealed that Kanye confronted Kim about her dress the night before the event, and voiced his displeasure regarding her Instagram posts.

“You are my wife, and it affects me when pictures are too sexy,” Kanye commented to his wife, which she did not take well. 

Her dress for the event, which reportedly took over eight months to make, was already causing Kim a lot of anxiety, to which Kanye’s comments did not help ease. 

“You’re giving me really bad anxiety,” Kim said to Kanye. “You knew last night I had really bad anxiety, and I don’t need any more negative energy and for you to say you’re now not into me wearing a tight dress.” 

She further argues that over the course of their relationship, Kanye has helped build her up, and turn her into the confident, sexy woman she is today, and that his criticism does not line up with how he has supported her in the past. 

Image Credit: https://images.app.goo.gl/ak7eDRD5jX58zK1G6 

Fans and celebrities alike took to the internet to defend Kim, including The Bachelorette alum and internet sweetheart Tyler Cameron. “You should want your significant other to be sexy and feel sexy. Ye lost his confidence,” Cameron tweeted in response to Kanye’s comments. “Fellas if you can’t stand the heat get out the kitchen. Encourage your significant other to be all they can be.”

Kanye responded to the backlash his comments received during a lengthy interview with Beats 1’s Zane Lowe on Apple Music. “I suffer and I appreciate the suffering because we can feel a little bit of what Jesus experienced, but I suffer on social media,” Kanye explained during the interview regarding his “suffering” due to Kim’s posts. “There are other married men that I know are happy to hear me say that.”

Zoe in her second year at Suffolk University, and she is majoring in English Literature. She is originally from Fairfield, CT. In her free time, she enjoys thrifting, trying new restaurants around Boston, and participating in the Her Campus Trendsetters program. She is extremely excited to be an active contributor to Her Campus Suffolk!
Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.