Interior Designer’s Input: White Walls No More; Washi Galore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

As an art student, seeing a blank white surface produces one of the most uncomfortable feelings. Something must be splattered or streaked across the barren plane, anything to cut back on the white.

This is why Washi tape was invented. Okay, maybe not for the college student who cannot stand white walls, but it is slowly being seen on tons of Do-It-Yourself sites, in various settings, with a multitude of designs. A lot of crafters like to use the tape because it has a low adhesive quality that will not ruin paper, and more importantly, walls.

Washi tape can also be used to customize vases, clipboards, pens, drawers, bookshelves, or to even add a funky twist to your laptop. It is also a great way to organize keys or folders. For those who rent textbooks, the lighter colors are more transparent and can be used to highlight and can even be written on.

For the fashion forward collegiette, Washi tape can even be used to make pendants or bangles. You can also add to your manicure and create a nice design by cutting the tape in a specific shape or the shape of your nail and covering with a top coat.

Washi tape can be found at any local craft store for a reasonably cheap price, especially if you look for sales or coupons. If there is a will, there is a way to Washi. Any way you use it, Washi tape provides a cute, easy, and cheap option for temporary decorations, organization, and fun. 

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.