Wellness

How to Take Action Against Domestic Violence this October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

With October starting, we’re all excited about the arrival of fall and Halloween quickly approaching. However, aside from festivities, October is also a month dedicated to a severe issue affecting our society. National Domestic Violence Month, established in 1981, is a month dedicated to the millions of individuals who suffer from domestic violence every year. Our country devotes this time to work towards combating domestic violence by spreading awareness, empowering survivors, mourning the lost lives, and supporting the cause through programs and services.

Domestic Violence Awareness Month is especially prevalent this year. After the outbreak of COVID-19 forced families to quarantine and spend more time at home, domestic abuse incidents have increased significantly. Though restrictions have started decreasing, the pandemic continues to put victims in a dangerous situation, so our awareness and action towards this issue is especially important going forward.

silence is violence protest sign
Photo by Phil Roeder from Flickr

What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic violence is arguably one of our society’s most prevalent issues today, with an estimated 12 million men and women being affected annually. It goes far beyond the surface-level picture our society has painted it out to be. Violence in homes and families includes a wide range of actions beyond physical harm and often results in lasting psychological damage. Some types include physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, verbal abuse, threatening, and stalking. As previously stated, however, abuse between partners can look different depending on the situation, and all victims are valid in their struggle and deserve support and assistance.

Getting Involved

Understanding the definition of domestic violence is essential for combatting this issue. However, despite understanding the problem, some may be unsure how to get involved in the fight against it. Here are some ways you can get involved in the battle against domestic violence:

Spread Awareness

With any issue, the first step to solving the problem is being aware of its existence, so spreading domestic abuse awareness is definitely an important part of our fight. You can do this by wearing purple (the color of Domestic Violence Awareness Month), sharing information through blogs or social media posts, or simply speaking up and having conversations with your friends and family members about domestic violence and its importance.

Donate or Volunteer

If you’re able to, donating towards programs and initiatives regarding domestic violence prevention efforts is a simple and direct way to help the cause and show you support. You can contribute to organizations like the ​National Network to End Domestic Violence​, or you can make donations to domestic violence shelters in your area.

If you are not able to donate, signing up to be a volunteer with these organizations is also a great way to get involved and make a difference. Though the current pandemic has resulted in many jobs and events going online, there are still multiple opportunities to become a volunteer in a virtual setting through programs like ​Break the Silence​ or ​Casa Myrna​.

Click ​here​ to find a list of other domestic violence programs and shelters in Boston, MA.

Support Victims

On a more personal level, if a family member or friend of yours is experiencing domestic abuse, it is crucial that you take steps to provide them support and assistance. This includes providing emotional support through starting difficult conversations, listening without judgment, and validating the individual’s feelings.

Additionally, helping the victim take action is also an important part of the process. For instance, this can include creating a safety plan (places to go in an emergency, code words, etc.) or helping them resources like shelters and hotline numbers. Regardless of how you choose to help your loved one, it is essential that you do not give up and take extra precautions to avoid anything that would worsen the situation.

In situations where physical violence is actively occurring, calling 911 is the most effective way to remove immediate danger. In summary, it is important to do what is necessary to protect the victim and ensure their safety.

Click here for a list of national ​hotlines​ involving domestic abuse along with other issues.

Share Your Story

Finally, if you are a survivor of domestic abuse, consider sharing your story if you feel comfortable doing so. This can be an impactful way to spread awareness, and it also has the potential to help other victims as it can show them that they are not alone in their struggle and inspire their empowerment.

This October, make it a point to get involved in National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. It is time that we unite and do everything we can to combat domestic violence, not just throughout the month, but throughout the entire year.

For more information, resources, and assistance regarding domestic violence, visit www.thehotline.org​.

Kaviya is a junior studying psychology. Her hobbies include drawing and reading thriller/mystery novels, and she hopes to work in the field of clinical psychology one day.