Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Keep in Touch with Family this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

This year, the holidays are looking a bit different than normal. With everyone being advised to stay home and not travel to see friends and family, you may be feeling as if you are spending these joyous times alone. However, there are many ways to stay connected and enjoy time together even if it isn’t exactly what you were expecting.

1. Mail your gifts

Don’t feel as if you cannot purchase gifts for others just because you can’t physically see them! Personally, I bought more gifts this year than I ever have, just to let everyone know that I was thinking of them. These can be delivered via mail (when you order from some sites they can send it right to the gift recipient!) or left on a doorstep for a socially distant unwrapping. 

Tareq Ismail / Unsplash

1. Make a family christmas card!

a sign that says \"let it snow\" with snowmen are displayed on white fence.
Photo by Jill Wellington from Pexels

It may seem silly to put a photo of just yourself or your pet onto a printed christmas card, but I assure you that there are members of your family who would be ecstatic to see it. You can add a personalized handwritten message on the back as well, wishing them a happy holiday in your own words. This is something that can especially be great for those who are in a financial bind and can’t afford to mail out or purchase gifts for the people you care about. It is something that is thoughtful and that can be cherished for years to come. 

1. Online Movie Night

Couple watching Netflix
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

What better way to get into the holiday spirit than with festive movies! Both Netflix and Hulu have options where multiple people can watch content together, so curl up with your furry friends and most comfortable blankets and enjoy your favorite winter films!

1. Zoom Game Night

man and woman playing jenga on wooden floor table with wine
Photo by Cottonbro from Pexels

One amazing way to spend time with friends in family during this time is talking via Zoom. BUT, adding another element such as games can create an even more engaging experience. Personally, I love playing the Jackbox Games party pack because it is so easy to set up and has a multitude of enjoyable games for an array of ages. 

1. Dinner Over Zoom

Woman with curly hair waving and saying hi to someone through her laptop.
Photo by Yan from Pexels

Lastly, make a meal or order one of your own, and enjoy it over a video chat with your loved ones. Wear your most festive ugly sweater and Santa hat to truly get in the mood, and take a minute to share the gratitude for those in your life. This may seem simple or even silly, but it can make a world of  a difference in your emotional well-being this holiday season.

Carina Fresa is a current Senior honors student at Suffolk University. Originally from Connecticut, she has truly found a home in Boston. She is the multi-media coordinator for Rampage Show Choir, as well as a participant in Her Campus and the Union of Designers, Operators and Technicians. Carina loves music, film, reading and writing. She also enjoys dedicating time to helping animals, and worked at her local cat shelter back in CT.