Holiday Movie Traditions For People Who Don’t Like Holiday Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

During the holiday season it can sometimes seem impossible to escape the Christmas music playing in every single shop or the hundreds of Christmas films playing on every single channel. If you’re like me and can only deal with so much Christmas spirit, here’s a few different traditions to pick up this holiday season.

1. Star Wars Marathon

This may seem like an odd one, but for as long as I can remember, my family has watched all the Star Wars films on Christmas day. There’s quite a few out, so it’s best to just turn on the first one right when you wake up (and by first one I mean Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope). Watch them in order of release date if you’re unfamiliar with how to do a Star Wars marathon. You’ll be set for an all day-long movie marathon! Plus, there’s a new one out this December! Check out Star Wars: The Last Jedi out Dec 15th!

2. Harry Potter Marathon

This one is kind of a given. If you’re going to do a movie marathon, there is no better choice than a Potter marathon. There’s also the upside of them actually celebrating Christmas in (almost) every film. The holiday season is the best time to celebrate magic and with 9 films (if you include Fantastic Beasts) you’ll be busy through Christmas Eve as well as Christmas Day.

3. Friends Holiday Episodes

Now, this isn’t a movie marathon but it’s still a lot of fun. Friends is known for having a long running success of nearly 10 years, so they’ve got plenty of episodes of the friends celebrating all the holidays. Here’s a list of all the holiday episodes, including thanksgiving: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls073768500/

4. Jurassic Park Marathon

Personally, I’m always up for a Jurassic Park marathon, but if you’re not into a bit of a Christmas scare, then maybe pass on this one? We’ve got 4 movies and about 8hrs of dinosaur terror here. Lot’s of fun. Also a new Jurassic Park movie will be coming out in the New Year, so perfect time to make sure you’re all caught up!

5. Marvel Movie Marathon

So much to go off of here as there are A LOT of Marvel movies out. You could stick to just an Avengers marathon, which is just two movies (technically) or you can go all out and watch all 10+ movies, which apparently takes upwards of 40 hours. Have fun with that.

Have fun with your movie marathons and don’t feel pressured to watch only holiday-related movies if it’s really not your thing! It’s always fun finding new traditions, especially in college, which is the best time to experiment with making your own traditions instead of always doing what your family does.

Big fan of most things involving music, photography superhero & TV shows.
Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.