This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The Head of the Charles Regatta is an exciting and public event that happens in Cambridge each year. As someone who rowed in high school, I love the opportunity to see teams from all over the world to race and this year my sister and her wife were able to row together in the Simmons Alumni 8 and this was their first event as a married couple!  While watching the actual races is a blast, it is also fun to walk down the race course and stop at some of the vendors around. 

To think that just one week before they raced, my sister and her wife were sharing their first dance at their wedding is almost comical! They went from glammed-up to athlete in record speed. To start the morning, we watched them launch off of the dock at Riverside Boat House, allowing us to watch many of the singles and doubles races row past, and cheer on the boats that belonged to Riverside. 

(Image taken by: Carina Fresa)

After they launched, I was able to stand on a bridge by Riverside Boat House and take photos of them as they raced and cheer them on. My sister can be seen smiling because of the wild cheers that our family friend is notorious for bringing to any sporting event! 

(Image taken by: Carina Fresa)

After watching them row by, I separated from my family and met up with a friend and spent the rest of the afternoon walking down to the finish line. I purchased a keychain from US Rowing (which is honestly something I should have bought years ago when I was still on a crew team) and a super comfortable quarter-zip from the official event merchandise tent. We were also able to stop at Loppy’s Espresso & Crepe Cart and get out-of-this-world crepes and apple cider! It was the perfect touch to a beautiful fall day as we watched families and students gather around the river to watch the races, many with their dogs by their side. It became a game to point out the cutest dogs, and of course, gush over all of the puppies! 

(Image taken by: Carina Fresa)

In past years, the weather wasn’t enjoyable to be standing outside for hours, but this year it was beautiful. Sunny and just a small breeze made it easy to walk around in just a sweater or a light jacket. It was freeing to be able to experience the event without trying to find hand warmers or adding on a second pair of pants before your legs went numb. 

(Image taken by: Carina Fresa)

At the end of the day I was able to meet up with my family and go out to dinner in Somerville. We went to a small italian restaurant and gorged ourselves with fantastic food after the day spent outdoors. The excitement came to a close as we all returned home, exhausted yet fulfilled and turned in for the night.  I hope that I will be able to see my sister and her wife race together once again and enjoy the Head of the Charles with family and friends, I can’t wait till next years regatta!

Carina Fresa is a current Senior honors student at Suffolk University. Originally from Connecticut, she has truly found a home in Boston. She is the multi-media coordinator for Rampage Show Choir, as well as a participant in Her Campus and the Union of Designers, Operators and Technicians. Carina loves music, film, reading and writing. She also enjoys dedicating time to helping animals, and worked at her local cat shelter back in CT.