HC Article – Commuter Hangouts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

I think all commuters can agree that one of the biggest struggles we face is finding a comfortable place to spend breaks on campus. Whether your break is fifteen minutes or three hours, where you spend your time can really make or break the tone of how the rest of your day will go. Lucky for us, Suffolk provides some great spaces! Here are a few of my favorites:

Somerset 2nd & 3rd Floor Common Spaces

These spaces are a great spot for your shorter breaks. Usually if I’m a little early to campus I will go to one of these spots. They are convenient – especially if your upcoming class is in Somerset. They are mostly free while classes are going on. Great places to put your headphones in or look over notes while you wait for class! 

Sawyer Library  2nd Floor Common

Suffolk’s newest addition to the common areas! Also includes a few study rooms that you can book online. During the afternoons it can get pretty crowded with people, but being on the second floor means you can meet up with some friends and work on an assignment together! 

Sawyer Library 2nd & 3rd Floor Elevators

This has been my go-to spot since my freshman year! A lot of times when the desks and tables are full, I have gone here and found a table. I get so much work done here because it is usually quiet (especially the 3rd floor) but I love it because it is also great to watch some Netflix too! Also a plus, the 3rd floor has a vending machine right near these tables. :)

73 Tremont Café

Perfect for when you have to do work but you are also in the need for a snack. And I DON’T mean during lunchtime when everyone and their mother is in line to get a salad (understandably so because they’re delish.) I have gone at times where there is a ton of free space which is perfect for when you need to chill or get crackin’ on that essay. PS – they play some good music on the café speakers too! 

Sawyer Library 2nd & 3rd Floor Couches 

These spaces are good for when you need to chill. I see a lot of people here wearing headphones, eating a snack, talking with a friend, or even taking a nap. The couches are definitely tempting enough to make you consider how many absences your professor allows before they start taking points off…

1st & 3rd Floor of Sawyer

If you are looking for a more social setting, these are some great areas! Tables, chairs, TV’s, and even ping pong tables! Oh and another thing – the café on the 1st floor of Saywer plays the BEST throwback R&B songs!!!!!!!!!

Sargent Hall Café & 5th Floor Spaces

The walk down the hill to Sargent Hall may seem like a pain, but it is definitely worth it! Their café is my favorite on campus. The cafeteria has a ton of chairs and booths so even when it is crowded you will most likely find a seat. For a quieter setting, the 5th floor offers a few areas to get work done. My favorite are the booths!