Grammy Fashion 2014: The Best, the Worst, and the Glittery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Every year come award season, the show I get most excited to tune in for is E!’s complete red carpet coverage of The Grammys. The biggest night in music is notorious for its glamorous, yet oftentimes wild, fashion statements. Here are my picks for the best and worst styles of the 2014 Grammys.

White Out

I have to admit, at first, I loved the dress that Paris Hilton was wearing when she showed up on the carpet with producer, Birdman (I’m not sure either…).  However, when Beyonce changed from her sexy performance costume into her gown of the evening, (similar to Paris’ but much more elegant and sans tacky jewels) she stole the spotlight. As usual, 10 points to Queen Bey and 20 to Project Runway contestant, Michael Costello, for designing this masterpiece!

Lifeandstylemag.com

FashionBombDaily.com

Another star who dazzled in white was Katy Perry. This look has been the talk of the week for being arguably the best or the worst, depending on the critic. However, I think Katy flawlessly defined what the Grammys are all about by wearing this angelic Valentino design. The Grammys are all about music and so is this gown.

DailyMail

All That Glitters…

I am always a huge sucker for sparkly dresses when it comes to red carpets, so it’s not a shocker that two of my favorites this year at the Grammys are all-over shining metallic. Though while being interviewed by Ryan Seacrest she said it was extremely heavy and itchy, Taylor Swift’s gorgeous Gucci gown was among the best looks of the night. She pulled it together with a youthful ponytail and simple teardrop earrings.

PGSK/MPI/INFevents.com, IMAXtree

A baby-bumpin’ Ciara sparkled on the carpet alongside Swift in a gorgeous all-sequin gown by Pucci, perfectly complimenting her coloring and pregnancy glow.

Kevin Mazur/Wire Image

Ravishing Reds

Another best dressed of the evening, for me, was one of my personal favorite singers, Colbie Caillat. Although she usually doesn’t make a huge splash when it come to fashion, her Ezra Couture red gown, with it’s bold high neckline and classy cut-outs, was absolute perfection in a dress.

Starcasm.net

Fashion Misses

I am still confused as to what purpose this dress is trying to serve. Why someone as cute and stylish as Zendaya would allow it remotely close to her body!?

Larry Busacca/WireImage.com

Another look I still am a bit confused on is Paula Patton (Robin Thicke’s wife). There was so much potential there, especially seeing as her husband had the #1 song of the summer, yet she decides to show up in zebra print. Side note: you guys need to work on your couple pose.

Jeff Vespa/Getty

Name: Julie GrasseyMajor: Public Relations and JournalismAcademic year: 2015A lover of all things fashion, live music, Starbucks, photography, dancing, playing guitar, Cheez-its, and reading my daily horoscope, I am currently a junior at Suffolk University in Boston. Other than being a full time student and HerCampus contributer, I am also a blogger and campus representative for Rent the Runway, as well as an intern for the Boston Ballet! My goal is to move to New York City after graduation and get a job planning events or styling photo shoots for a major fashion magazine or designer. This is my second semester writing for the News and Blog section of HerCampus Suffolk! 
Julia is a senior at Suffolk University in Boston, MA. She is an English major and Psychology minor and is the Blog Section Editor and a Campus Correspondent for HC Suffolk. After graduation, she hopes to write for magazines such as Glamour or Cosmopolitan, where she can pursue her interest in sex, love and relationships, beauty/make up, and fashion.