Girl on the Train: Just How’d You Imagine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

One of the first books I read over the summer was Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.  Usually I don’t enjoy reading all that much but once I find a good book I don’t put it down.  It took me three days to read Girl on the Train– that says A LOT.  Since the book was so incredibly written, I had very high expectations for the movie. Also the amazing Emily Blunt was playing Rachel.  The movie came out on October 3rd and it did not get the high ratings as anticipated.  I was really worried about the movie, but that just made me want to see the movie more. 

After 17 minutes of previews, the movie finally started.  The first scene was an overhead shot of the train Rachel was on when she first spotted Jess aka Megan, and the movie went from there.  The two hours flew by!  The movie lived right up to my expectations.  While I was watching the movie I felt the same emotions while I was reading the book.

The movie stuck to the book; nothing was created that wasn’t written by Hawkins.  There were one or two minor parts that were left out, but other than that it was spot on.  I can see where people who have not read the book might find it confusing.  The movie flashed back from 6 months to present then 4 months to present and ultimately ending up in the present time.  For people who did not read the book, it can seem unclear what the plot is and how people are linked to another.  I just wish they had more screen time of Scott ;)

I wouldn’t listen to the reviews.  I thought Girl on the Train was on point for a movie based off a book.  The director and producers did not add anything that would throw the audience off.  It may seem slow at first, but if you read the book, you know it takes some time to get into the plot.

If you read the book I HIGHLY recommend you see the movie, for those who didn’t- it is a very good movie once the plot picks up, but until then you might find it a tad boring.