Galentine’s Day > Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

What’s Galentine’s Day you might be asking? Only the best day of the year! February 13th is a day for ladies to celebrate ladies (“it’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst!”) a la Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation. Amy Poehler, who plays Leslie on the show, is also the founder of Smart Girls at the Party. Through this website, Amy has kept the spirit of Galentine’s Day alive.

According to SGatP, Galentine’s Day is a day where we can “highlight achievements by women, celebrate friendships, and encourage creativity.” Honestly, what holiday could be better than that?! Valentine’s Day is an unpopular holiday for most people out there because of it’s “over-commercialization” and the firm gender roles for women and men it enforces.

To celebrate, Smart Girl at the Party are holding a Galentine’s Day giveaway! They want to hear about your Galentine and what makes her special. You can read the rules and enter the contest here. So this year, enter the giveaway, grab your lady friends, and celebrate Galentine’s Day!

Now that you know what Galentine’s day is, it’s probably best that you understand what Smart Girls at the Party is as well!

Smart Girls at the Party started as web series created by Amy Poehler, Meredith Walker, and Amy Miles. The three would interview inspiring women, creating content that empowered young girls. As the webseries started gaining traction, amysmartgirls.com was born.

Since the launch of the website, Smart Girls has become a safe haven for women, both old and young, to learn and become a part of a community. Recently, the site has been partaking and hosting campaigns, like the “#askhermore” movement for award season–urging reporters to ask female entertainers more than “who are you wearing?”

Galentine’s Day and #askhermore are only a small portion of the creative and empowering campaigns by the ladies of SGatP. Grab your Galentine and head over to amysmartgirls.com–because in the words of Leslie Knope, “uteruses before duderuses.”

Journalism student in Boston / Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk. I'm into politics, pop music, and parks. I tweet about TV and lipstick. @nikkimfell
Media student who loves pop culture and is almost always thinking about Harry Styles.