Galentine’s Day Movie Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Forget about Valentine’s Day, February is all about Galentine’s Day and celebrating all your gal pals. February 13th marks the unofficially holiday of Galentine’s Day where women all get together with their best friends and just celebrate being women. The perfect way to celebrate is to grab all your besties and have the best spa day movie marathon, in my opinion. Grab all that junk food, a couple of faces masks, some nail polish, and a few of your favorite 90’s and early 2000’s chick flicks. It may have been a while since you’ve watched these classics, so here’s a reminder of a few of the best titles to watch this Galentine’s Day.

John Tucker Must Die (2006)

Honestly, a classic at this point: three girls find out they’ve all been dating the same guys and team up with the new girl in town to break his heart like he broke theirs. The football star gets knocked down a few pegs and learns his lesson. Not available on Netflix but you can rent it on Amazon or even buy the DVD for about five dollars, not bad.

Clueless (1995)

This should be a required movie for every millennial. It’s just wicked funny and honest. The story follows rich and super popular girl, Cher, as she takes new and socially awkward Tai under her wing and gives her a makeover. Soon Tai’s popularity peaks and Cher realizes she may have been in over her head. You can rent the movie through YouTube or Amazon.

27 Dresses (2008)

One of my personal favorites. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride, Jane (Katherine Heigl, queen of rom-coms) is always putting everyone else first and jumps on board to plan all of her friends’ weddings. Her world turns a bit upside down when her sister becomes engaged to her boss (and supposed love of her life). Jane goes out of her way to plan her sister’s wedding even though it breaks her heart to do so. You can rent this one on YouTube or Amazon as well.

Mean Girls (2004)

You can’t possibly have a girls’ night without this absolute classic. Do I even need to explain the iconic plot for this film? You and your gal pals will be laughing and quoting the movie all night. They recently took this one off of Netflix, which is a bummer but it is on Amazon to rent or buy.

Legally Blonde (2001)

Another film that needs no explanation: Elle Woods kicks ass and proves everyone wrong while attending Harvard Law School, which no one thought she’d even be able to get in to in the first place. You can find the movie for free on Vudu.

My Galentine’s Day honorable mentions include a High School Musical marathon, because honestly what could be better than that? Bridesmaids also makes a great girls’ night movie. You’ve also got movies like Easy A, Bring It On, Pitch Perfect, White Chicks, Miss Congeniality and so many more.

Wishing you a very happy Galentine’s Day filled with sweets, mani-pedis, and endless laughter.

Big fan of most things involving music, photography superhero & TV shows.