“Fresh” brings new life to the horror genre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

“Fresh” is a deliciously fun story about the horrors of the modern dating scene. 

In director Mimi Cave’s feature film debut, she brings a feminist twist to the horror/thriller genre, accompanied by a strong leading cast.

The film opens on main character Noa (Daisy-Edgar Jones of “Normal People”) as she is on the phone with her best friend Mollie (Jojo T. Gibbs), trying to convince herself to go into the restaurant for her date with a guy she met on a dating app. The date goes as one would expect from online dating, with her date being a scarf-wearing, unbearable man named Chad. Throughout the date, he makes subtly sexist comments and doesn’t bother to ask her about herself.

Like many other women, Noa is frustrated by the world of dating apps and going out with men that end up being disappointing or just plain creepy. She starts to lose hope that she will ever find someone that she can have a meaningful connection with. That is, until she meets charming, yet goofy Steve in a rom-com inspired meet-cute in the produce section of the grocery store. 

Steve, played by Sebastian Stan (“Pam and Tommy”, “Falcon and the Winter Soldier”), first feels like someone out of a woman’s fantasy. He’s a smart, handsome reconstructive surgeon who actually laughs at Noa’s jokes and cares about what she has to say. So, after one date and a romantic night together, Noa falls hard. 

For the first half-hour of the film, the tone feels like that of a traditional romance film, as we see scenes of the two dancing, kissing, and enjoying each other’s company. For a brief time, the director almost gets you to forget what is lurking right around the corner. When Noa decides to go with Steve for a “romantic” weekend getaway, that is when things take a drastic turn.

Stan is well-chosen for the role of Steve, as he can turn on the endearing charm when he needs to, but is also able to flip the switch on his emotions just as quickly. His performance feels similar to that of Christian Bale in “American Psycho” or Anthony Perkins in “Psycho”, bringing a deranged energy to the character that leaves you feeling on edge with what he will do next. 

An interesting artistic choice by the director was putting the title sequence 33 minutes into the movie, when Steve drugs Noa and finally reveals his true carnivorous intentions. In a way, it feels as if the first part of the film was a mask for the real plot, and the title sequence is the transition into this darker, twisted storyline. 

While the story does follow traditional elements of the horror genre, the film feels very self-aware at moments. This includes a scene where the potential male savior (played by Dayo Okeniyi in the concern-friend role) chooses to drive off instead of going into the house when a gun sounds. Or, the fact that although Noa finds herself in this deadly situation, she still tries to play it to her advantage and take back some of the power from Steve. 

Whether you are a seasoned horror and gore aficionado or just interested in watching something new, ”Fresh” is a film worth sinking your teeth into. 

“Fresh” is now streaming on Hulu.

Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.