Flavors of the Season: Fall/Winter Edition!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

When the leaves begin to change and the cooler months set in, it is not long before the snow begins to fall, and Starbucks cups go from white to red. There are many great things associated with the change of season, but one of the best is definitely the limited edition holiday-flavors that are advertised in every coffee shop and supermarket in town.

1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin is the main flavor of the fall, and one of my personal favorites that I get excited about every year. Once the temperature starts to decrease, Starbucks’ business shoots through the roof, thanks to this delicious seasonal treat that only feels right to drink during the autumn months. The Pumpkin Spice Latte, made hot or cold depending on your mood, combines spicy cinnamon and rich pumpkin flavors. Get it while it lasts! The pumpkin flavoring is notoriously a shortage in Starbucks all across the city, which makes for a disappointing morning or afternoon if you are like me and are constantly craving pumpkin spice in the fall.

If coffee isn’t your thing, don’t worry. Starbucks obviously started a pumpkin trend for all companies in the dessert/sweet treat business. Pinkberry, for example, debuted their pumpkin frozen yogurt this fall, advertised with graham crackers and cinnamon sugar as the toppings; this is a mouth-watering sight for all on Newbury Street!

Whole foods also served up the pumpkin flavor with their pumpkin ice cream float samples. Though they are beginning to move more towards the Christmas flavors now, this delicious mix can still be purchased at Whole Foods to blend with vanilla ice cream at your convenience.

2. Peppermint Mocha

Once the Halloween festivities came to an end, the winter flavors were debuted everywhere. Christmas came especially early this year, probably by popular demand for the yummy flavors that come with it. Peppermint mocha’s popularity as a flavor also originated as a delicious Starbucks beverage around the holidays, but it now seems like you can get a peppermint mocha flavored treat almost anywhere.

Sweet Cupcake and Isabella’s CurlyCakes are both featuring peppermint mocha flavored cupcakes as one of the limited edition flavors of the season. Dunkin’ Donuts is also featuring a variety of different peppermint mocha items, including their own peppermint mocha coffee and donuts.

3. Eggnog

Whether it is an eggnog flavoring or actual eggnog, this is a holiday tradition that, for many, is a winter staple to have in the fridge starting at Thanksgiving. Walking through the supermarket the other day, I noticed that there are so many different flavors of eggnog nowadays! Sugar cookie, peppermint, and pumpkin, just to name a few, are all flavors that easily complete a holiday dinner party, or could simply just satisfy a mid-afternoon craving on a snowy day.

4. Gingerbread

Very similar to the spicy aspects that are associated with pumpkin-flavored sweets, gingerbread is a classic holiday taste that is loved by all. At the HerCampus.com Ultra Holiday Party, Pinkberry swirled up their new gingerbread flavored frozen yogurt, which has easily replaced chocolate hazelnut as my favorite Pinkberry flavor…

Gingerbread cookies are obviously the best way to indulge in this holiday flavor, but one of my favorite ways to enjoy gingerbread is actually not edible. Gingerbread candles are one of the best ways to enjoy the holiday flavor without all of the calories! Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candle both sell amazing gingerbread scented candles. 

Name: Julie GrasseyMajor: Public Relations and JournalismAcademic year: 2015A lover of all things fashion, live music, Starbucks, photography, dancing, playing guitar, Cheez-its, and reading my daily horoscope, I am currently a junior at Suffolk University in Boston. Other than being a full time student and HerCampus contributer, I am also a blogger and campus representative for Rent the Runway, as well as an intern for the Boston Ballet! My goal is to move to New York City after graduation and get a job planning events or styling photo shoots for a major fashion magazine or designer. This is my second semester writing for the News and Blog section of HerCampus Suffolk! 
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.